The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am going to talk about finned creatures in the Invert section.

In my Ebi, I have a large population of what is apparently being called "water mites" that cover the sides of the tank and are active on the substrate. Whatever they are, they do not seem to be a menace to my shrimp/babies, but appear to be a nuisance, as I see shrimp do that instant "teleport" move backwards occasionally from them. I assume they are a copepod or different groups of copepods. Some sources say they are harmless or actually beneficial, while others say they are snail killers. A couple of sources say they are indicative of good water conditions, while others say they are indicative of over-feeding and water that is "dirty" with an overabundance of nutrients.

The only thing I'm certain of is that they are a food source for some fish and I want to determine if I have a fish type at home that will eat the boogers and basically leave my shrimp alone.

The fish I have available are danios (albino), White Clouds, serpae and glowlight tetras. Would any of these eat the copepods? If so, which would probably present the least hazard to the shrimpies in your opinion?

Oh yeah, don't recommend that I do massive water changes. That's not going to happen in my shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have daphnia in some of my tanks too and I have wondered if I should put a small fish in there for a while to thin them out. But I worry that said fish would eat my baby shrimp too.

I have found that feeding the shrimp more spinach and less commercial foods appears to be helping decrease the numbers of daphnia for whatever reason.

I also made a "daphnia trapnia" out of a small bottle and baited it with algae wafer to catch daphnia and then feed them to my darters.

Here is my trap

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Buff Get your hands on a celestial pearl Danio or 2 or CPD for short. I had the same outbreak in one of my tanks and CPD's took care of it in no time and they could care less about shrimp. I believe someone in the sponsor section has them right now. Good luck :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buff Get your hands on a celestial pearl Danio or 2 or CPD for short. I had the same outbreak in one of my tanks and CPD's took care of it in no time and they could care less about shrimp. I believe someone in the sponsor section has them right now. Good luck :)
Missed them... I almost got a school of them several months ago for my 75G. Hindsight is 20/20, huh?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
water mites are exactly that, mites that live under water lol (arachnids)

sounds like the danio might help you with them. I find they are indicative of rotting vegetation that's inevitable in some planted tanks. they eat diatoms too so you may see a bloom of them around algae blooms.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
water mites are exactly that, mites that live under water lol (arachnids)

sounds like the danio might help you with them. I find they are indicative of rotting vegetation that's inevitable in some planted tanks. they eat diatoms too so you may see a bloom of them around algae blooms.
I've had two long fin gold danios in the tank for 24 hours... Can't see any change in the wall crawlers' numbers. As I understand mites, they are colored. These things appear to be white/gray/opaque.

I am thinking of setting up a microscope and checking samples under magnification. I will try another set of fish this weekend if the danios are still a fail by Sunday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.