The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bunch of fissidens fontanus and cant decide what to do with it. ive had the f.font tied to a few sticks/ logs an it just always breaks free or splits. as of right now it just floats around an gets stuck in my other plants... any pics on how u have it or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I just got done using super glue to attach some fissidens to a coconut cave and am planning to do the same thing with some driftwood (both for shrimp tanks).

I got a few golf ball sized clumps of it and I was in a hurry so I just dropped it into my tank to keep it alive until I had time to get it out and you are right - it goes everywhere.

Definitely looks best attached to rocks, logs, mess walls, etc.

Other than having the people at the check-out stands insinuate that I was a drug addict for buying cyanoacrylate glue (super glue gel) I didn't have any problems with the process though I obviously haven't had enough time to judge how it is going to grow in.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I tie mine to a piece of mesh to make carpets/walls using string. I don't do the sandwich method with the mesh, only mesh on the back side.

This works well in my 6 gallon tank, but the larger fish in my 80g knock the fissidens loose and makes quite the mess. I'm still finding bits 8 months later.

If you click on my (View User Tanks) button you can see the various stages of the carpet I made (looked much better in person). For me it's one of the nicest lower light carpet plants.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I don’t have any fissidens but I have had some form of java moss for a long time. Whatever you do with these mosses involves a lot of pruning. My favorite use right now is on top of a large rock just below the surface. It forms a nice mat, grows much more compact and the fish seem to love just kind of hanging out in it. Having grown it for a year like this none of it has attached itself to the rock at all. All the moss on the bottom layer dies and turns brown.

I have had some success entwining it with the roots of Marselia. it seems to all matt together fairly well but I am not very fond of the marselia these days so I think all this is about to end up in the compost.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i have a bunch of fissidens fontanus and cant decide what to do with it. ive had the f.font tied to a few sticks/ logs an it just always breaks free or splits. as of right now it just floats around an gets stuck in my other plants... any pics on how u have it or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
1.) The stuff took FOREVER to do anything in my tank. Just sort of languished, with chunks turning brown and falling off slowly. When it finally started growing, it showed up where I wanted it, but also everywhere else around the tank in little bits and pieces, which ended up growing fairly quickly.

2.) Super glue worked (eventually) in the above case. I just glued small, thin pieces of the fissidens to rocks and it worked pretty well (aside from how long it took).

G

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea everyone seems to be showing its been a pita to get it to take i might just trade this for something as i dont have anyrocks in this tank at this time and havent layed out a new plan for a big rescape yet. anytime i adhear it to something the bottom goes brown in a hurry, well see what i decide to do from here. thanks for some input guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.