The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Hagen CO2 system for my tank, and soon realized those bastards had included expired yeast packets! Regardless, I was planning to use my own recipe, and by "my own" I obviously mean "your own" best recipe! I have read about the following:

-Sugar (white or brown, any opinions?) to the first line
-1 teaspoon of yeast (champagne? Does it matter?)
-a bit more than 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
-Fill with warm water to the second line, and good to go.

Any changes you recommend?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Definitely use Champagne yeast - lasts longer because it's designed to survive high acidity and alcohol levels, also foams at the bottom instead of at the top so less chance of yeast in the tank.

Definitely add a little Baking Soda - it buffers the solution so it takes longer for the solution to become so acidic that it kills the yeast. How much you need depends on the hardness of the water you use.

Tips: Keep your yeast in the freezer so it doesn't die. It will take several hours for it to get going.

Don't use water that's too hot! If it's too hot, it will kill yeast! You want the temp between 70-90°F. If in doubt, go for cooler, it will just delay the activity of the yeast a little.

Don't use too much yeast! Less is more, I used only 1/8 tsp of Champagne yeast for a 2-liter bottle. Also, keep the sludge at the bottle as there's live yeast in there.

Cold room = slower production, warm room = faster production. You'll always get more CO2 during the summer, you may want to warm the bottle if it gets really really cold where you live in winter.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
And let the jell-o harden up before using it. And remember to use a extra bottle to collect the sludge or else you'll end up with the jell-o from hell recipe (aka-my tank)
I'd bet that if you could freeze your JELL-O tanks and place them outside that all the cats and opossums for miles around would come around for a treat. I'd also bet on a few raccoons as well.:wink:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
And let the jell-o harden up before using it...
All kidding aside; I read a long time ago that a person using the JELL-O formula hardened theirs in the fridge and then cut it up into small chuncks that were small enough to fit past the mouth of a juice bottle. Then the yeast was added (but I think the yeast was added to warm water and then poured in, but I'm not positive). I wish I new where the article was. It worked well for this person.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
All kidding aside; I read a long time ago that a person using the JELL-O formula hardened theirs in the fridge and then cut it up into small chuncks that were small enough to fit past the mouth of a juice bottle. Then the yeast was added (but I think the yeast was added to warm water and then poured in, but I'm not positive). I wish I new where the article was. It worked well for this person.
This thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/9916-jello-co2-thread.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
i found that adding a protien source to the mix helps keep the mix producing for longer. a tablespoon of protien whey for making those health shakes that people drink when they work out is what was recommended to me but i found that anything with protiens will work ie. peanut butter, multi-vitamins etc..

·
Registered
226 Posts
i found that adding a protien source to the mix helps keep the mix producing for longer. a tablespoon of protien whey for making those health shakes that people drink when they work out is what was recommended to me but i found that anything with protiens will work ie. peanut butter, multi-vitamins etc..
LOLOL!! But knowing me I'd somehow end up with jell-o, peanut butter, and multi-vitamins in my tank!:icon_redf This is beginning to sound more and more like a cooking recipe gone to hell than a CO2 source for live plants. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't use water that's too hot! If it's too hot, it will kill yeast! You want the temp between 70-90°F. If in doubt, go for cooler, it will just delay the activity of the yeast a little.
My packet of champagne yeast says for best results, activate at 105F. I have used 100-110F water with this and with Red Star bread yeast and my mixtures start producing within 15 minutes. When they say don't use hot water, just don't use water that is scalding hot, you still want it to be warm enough so all of the yeast wakes up.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.