The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used ex-saltwater aquarium. I've been using vinegar and distilled water to remove the salt encrusted mess from the glass. Does anyone have any better methods? I plan to convert this to planted tank, as soon as I can get the tank and canister filters clean. Thanx in-advance for your advice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just posted about the same question, along with a few others. My problem is what look like hard water stains though. They are lines at the top where the water line would be.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Vinegar and water is the safest (albeit slow) method to remove any salt buildups (lime buildups, etc). You can dip a rag in the vinegar and let it sit on the stain for a few hours before giving it another scrub; it should come off a bit more easily.

Alternatively, you could use hydrochloric acid (please wear gloves, goggles and work in a well ventilated area) to get rid of the build up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe try some CLR or Limeaway?
CLR will take any salt or hard water marks. Just rinse tank very well let stand for 24 hours and rinse again, and dry it out once more. Make sure you do this in a well vented place. It'll wash out I.ve used it before on an out tank I found in the trash and it work great plus I use it in my coffee pot as well works wonders on hard water.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I never tried it on an aquarium, but extra fine steel wool will clean windows without scratching. You could try on the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i used oranges to clean my tank when i got it... just cut oranges in quarters and rub it on the built up calcium and stuff that wont come off and the citric acid helps it come off actually worked great

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Would muratic acid work? My dad has a bunch for his pool.
As I mentioned, hydrochloric acid will work; just be sure to take all the necessary precautions (gloves, preferably nitrile and not latex, and goggles).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've no doubt that CLR works, but vinegar will do the job just as well and much more safely, if you have a little patience.

Wet the area with vinegar and put a piece of plastic (cut from a garbage bag, maybe) over it. Every so often, peel back the bag and keep re-wet the area with vinegar (be sure not to let it dry). I've removed scale from shower doors and professional tinting from car windows like this...

·
Registered
600 Posts
you can try Simple Green Lime and scale remover its non-toxic. but still rinse. rinse. repeat rinse. rinse. repeat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank y'all very much for the info. I bet Sam's club sells gallon jugs of vinegar pretty cheap! I'm a little concerned that CLR might be too harsh on the silicone sealant. Again, I appreciate the info.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts