The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

About to build a 3 ft planted tank... I am planning for an elaborate sump with filter media, a refugium DIY Co2 reactor, and DIY UV sterilizer.

The idea of a refugium in marine tank fascinates me, as it can be me employed in a planted tank... it could be used in multiple ways... like plant cuttings nursery ... floating plants addition for nutrient export... alternating photoperiod for the display tank... keeping parameter more balanced. Maybe planning to add 10w lights and few fast-growing low tech plants in the center section of the sump.

Also, I wonder how to pull by Co2 to the sump( will this be effective..?) I am just looking to keep display free from tubes and pipes.. except for the inlet and overflow outlet for the display tank...

Pls do share your comments, ideas, design suggestions... thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi...

About to build a 3 ft planted tank... I am planning for an elaborate sump with filter media, a refugium DIY Co2 reactor, and DIY UV sterilizer.

Also, I wonder how to pull by Co2 to the sump( will this be effective..?) I am just looking to keep display free from tubes and pipes.. except for the inlet and overflow outlet for the display tank...

Pls do share your comments, ideas, design suggestions... thank you
Sump life!! I love having a sump, it keeps all the equipment out of the display tank. My favorite use I've seen for a refugium on a planted tank is a 24 hour light on it. This caused all the algae to grow in the refugium and none in the display tank. I forget who that was, might even be coldmantis.

For Co2, take a look at the pic below. I've posted it a couple times but it's relevant here. Co2 mixes in the reactor and is pumped directly into the return pumps flow chamber. The outlet of the reactors blue tubing is as close as it can be to the return pump to avoid as much gassing off as possible. The reactor does very well, no bubbles come out and it's just nicely saturated Co2 rich water.

Is it the most efficient overall? No. If I plumbed the reactor straight into the display tank that would be more efficient. For my 75-80 gallons of water I'm approximately 10bps but I've been raising it the last few days.

What size is your sump going to be? DIY sump or you gonna pick up a prebuilt?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Smithim,
Thanks for sharing your design... its more or less components I needed in my sump..
Planning for a 60cm by 45cm by 45cm glass diy sump...

my C02 reactor and the UV sterlizer are going to be DIY... bit doubtful on how to go about it, with good flow rate for the main tank..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Smithim,
my C02 reactor and the UV sterlizer are going to be DIY... bit doubtful on how to go about it, with good flow rate for the main tank..
Do you have the plans on the DIY UV? I don't get to see the DIY versions often.

Another Co2 option is an inline diffuser on the return pump. It may or may not throw bubbles into the display tank but it would be very efficient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have the plans on the DIY UV? I don't get to see the DIY versions often.

Another Co2 option is an inline diffuser on the return pump. It may or may not throw bubbles into the display tank but it would be very efficient.
I try to DIY UV with the UV sterilizer setup available with RO filter units... it of 9w Philip bulb i think.... will have a small submersible pump for the input flow...

Oh.. thats nice to have inline return pump diffuser... but is it going to generate more micro bubbles, let me check it though ... thanks..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.