The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted this in "substrate" but I'm reposting here in the hopes of some feedback. Hope that's alright!

I'm just in the planning phase of a 125 low tech planted tank.

I'm planning on using napa floor dry stuff for the substrate. It's basically course diatomaceous earth.

This is the stuff:

Absorbent NFD 8822 | NAPA Auto Parts

Just wanting some feedback (good and bad) for my choice and and what the best way to rinse this stuff might be. Used it for bonsai in the past and have a bunch leftover.

Thanks for anything you guys can offer!

Jake

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I've been thinking about blasting sand too because I like the black look of the substrate. I looked it up and it seems to be about $25 for 50 pounds. Somebody said I would need about 200 pounds for the depth I want in my 125. That's around $100! I'm not trying to be cheap but I can get the other stuff for about $20. Is the blasting sand worth the extra money just for the look??

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Thanks.

I've been thinking about blasting sand too because I like the black look of the substrate. I looked it up and it seems to be about $25 for 50 pounds. Somebody said I would need about 200 pounds for the depth I want in my 125. That's around $100! I'm not trying to be cheap but I can get the other stuff for about $20. Is the blasting sand worth the extra money just for the look??
Your call.:grin2:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Black diamond blasting sand is $8 a bag at my local store. I just bought 100 lbs for my 55g. I used 150 lbs in my 75g. You should be able to find something cheaper than what you listed as far as blasting sand.

As far as rinsing goes, everyone has a different opinion and method. I just throw my black diamond in the tank and fill it up. I scoop the sand that floats up with a net and toss it in the trash. I've had it in my tanks since I became a member here and haven't had any issues with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.