The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in-law has a standard 55 gallons tank. I think the dimension is roughly 48x13x20. I want to have someone local to build him a led fixture that is mounted into the canopy. So as for the number of leds, color (red,white,blue,uv..), what do you guys suggest? This is a planted tank with CO2 injection. So I would need a led fixture that can provide sufficient light to the substrate. THanks!!!

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
My father in-law has a standard 55 gallons tank. I think the dimension is roughly 48x13x20. I want to have someone local to build him a led fixture that is mounted into the canopy. So as for the number of leds, color (red,white,blue,uv..), what do you guys suggest? This is a planted tank with CO2 injection. So I would need a led fixture that can provide sufficient light to the substrate. THanks!!!
this is a 2 channel system I helped design for someone.. You can see the results here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkq9rr8NQtc
This is a 2 channel design w/ 3W LED's and 90 degree optics and dimming
Each channel is composed of odd or even columns...

FRAME capture

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Here is another posters..

or this:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=586233&page=4

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm flattered! Hahaha that's for a 120, so cut that in half and suit your dimensions. Per Jeff I'm removing 6 violets and adding 6 cyans in their place this weekend.

CH1 : 36 white 6500K (3 LDD-1000H)
CH2 : 12 white 4500K (1 LDD-1000H)
CH3 : 6 red 6 3000K (1 LDD-600H)
CH4 : 12 violet420nm (1 LDD-600H)
Ch5 : fans
Ch6 : 3 led moonlights

All channels fully dimmable and have an initial ramp up/down period for the initial/final hour. Makes an awesome sunset in my house.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm flattered! Hahaha that's for a 120, so cut that in half and suit your dimensions. Per Jeff I'm removing 6 violets and adding 6 cyans in their place this weekend.

CH1 : 36 white 6500K (3 LDD-1000H)
CH2 : 12 white 4500K (1 LDD-1000H)
CH3 : 6 red 6 3000K (1 LDD-600H)
CH4 : 12 violet420nm (1 LDD-600H)
Ch5 : fans
Ch6 : 3 led moonlights

All channels fully dimmable and have an initial ramp up/down period for the initial/final hour. Makes an awesome sunset in my house.
curious about how much a setup like that would cost to build?

·
Registered
243 Posts
LEDs and controllers $355, fans and aluminum $165, ace hardware for solder, hanging material etc...$140. Wow thanks for asking first time I actually totaled it up. So $660. Upgraded to Cree LEDs so that was an extra 60, then did all stainless hardware and eyelets for hanging from ceiling and organizing wires That was 80. So I could have come in way cheaper but just wanted to do it right. could have done it just fine with 255 and 165 so 420.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Came in way cheaper than any other pre built option for a 120g tank. Plus it's upgrade able, tweak able as I'm going to try today or tomorrow and per Jeff's graphs I'm gonna add cyans. Plus it was very rewarding and when I put it on my tank, I've never seen freshwater fish and plants look so amazing. Plus I can tweak each channel and get different color options of I want to.
[/URL][/IMG]
This is with all channels at 70%. Just an iPhone photo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks lamis. It's gratifying building large setups, especially when it has way more options than any prebuilt and comes in way cheaper.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Smh! Noooo not yet! Been on call for work and had some distractions lately! The LEDs are patiently waiting and I guess so are you! Sorry! I'm out of town this week so probably won't happen till next weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts