The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need suggestions for light fixture on 20 gal long!

5890 12
Hello!

I have recently purchased a 20 gallon long tank with dimensions of about 30in x 12in x 13in. I am looking into a light fixture (Preferably LED, with second being fluorescent) that will be able to support the growth of dwarf hair grass and any other low-medium intensity light requiring plants. I am still slightly a beginner in the accommodation of plants, so any light fixture suggestions that range between 40-70$ or lower will greatly be appreciated! ;)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
A Finnex Planted+ would be nice.. however, it's slightly over budget but may by be worth saving a little extra for. Otherwise, you can look at Beamworks (aquatraders.com).. haven't tried these, but they're super cheap. Some 24" fixtures have adjustable legs that pull out to fit that tank. A good example would be the current satellite LED+.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
ALL of the people who use the brooder type lamps on 10g tanks say they are very pleased at how good they light the tank and grow the plants in them.
And since one lamp and a 13W 6500K CFL bulb is the correct light for a 10g tank, then two of them is correct for a 20L tank.
T8 fluorescent bulb fixtures don't seem to work as well on them. I have one such tank
and it worked better when I had the dome light and the CFL bulb.
Two T8 bulbs create too much algae. I do have a 10g tank/w a T5 bulb(one bulb) but
it hasn't been running that long to say how it will work.
An LED light is most often too strong for it(10g/20L same height)unless you get one/w a dimmer. I have not heard how the Finnex StingRay works on them yet.
Since it is intentionally low level it may work well.
On Amazon the 18" Stingray is $44 so the 24" one should be just a bit more.
The Current Satallite Freshwater Plus has that dimmer but is just over $100 for the 24" model. That leaves this as about the only good option with a price which won't make most cringe for not wanting to spend that much on a smaller tank. And since this works so well...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153195

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll second what Brian said. I have a 20high with the finned stingray. It's a dirted tank and I only dose excel every few days and it gives me plenty of algae if I dont switch to my backup finnex Ray-R's. But I like the colors from the stingray better. The planted plus is an awesome light from what I've heard. You could even run a Ray of Ray2 or Monster Ray instead of flourescent.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am very much considering the Finnex FugeRay planted+. Again, I very much appreciate for the discussion of the LEDS, since I am a beginner. I'll make sure to stick around on these forums!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am very much considering the Finnex FugeRay planted+. Again, I very much appreciate for the discussion of the LEDS, since I am a beginner. I'll make sure to stick around on these forums!
I'm guessing you will get yours before me so let me know how you like it!:redface:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question : I have not been able to purchase a fixture yet due to things going on. Anyways, I found an alternative for LED lighting, being flood lights. Would you guys reconmend flood lights for a 20 long? If so, what wattage and would it be fine if the flood lights were mounted atop a glass canopy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.