The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a heavily planted 20 gallon long a couple months ago. I've been slowly adding plants and letting the tank fill in. I'll start a tank journal for it eventually, but here is a picture of some of it in its current, sad state. The plan is to rehome 5 cory cats from another tank into the 20. I'm looking for a very active and peaceful school of fish to add as well. I know I want one larger school instead of mini schools of different fish. Right now I'm leaning toward adding green neon tetras, but I've also considered harlequin rasboras or celestial pearl danios. I'd love to hear about people's experiences with these fish regarding temperament (really don't want fin nippers) and how much you actual see them out and about in dense foliage. I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also running a 20 long heavily planted. I am a newbie so take this with a grain of salt, but I planned on doing rummy nose tetras and Cardinal tetras initially. However I did not know rummy' s were so sensitive and they were the first fish I added. I let my tank cycle and added 7. Even with a reading of 0,0,5 I lost 4. I floated the bag for 30 min, drip acclimated and floated. The 3 I have have been doing well since the first week of Feb. I then did some more research and added 8 harlequins since they are suppose to be hardy. The harlequins have done fine and from what I have read are more forgiving. I plan to eventually have 9 harlequins, 9 rummys and a variety of nerites and shrimp, but want the tank to mature some more (again a newbie so take with a grain of salt). Just wanted to make sure you were aware of how sensitive rummy can be and provide my experience to date. Good luck and let us know how they do either way.

Bump: Forgot to add the rummys school with the harlequins and there are no issues. The rummys school very tight and the harlequins are more loose, but still cool to watch swimming in and out of the plants.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone keep green neon tetras?
Back in the 90's when they were first showing up for sale, I had 5 in a community 45 high with a school of other real Neons. Frankly I don't see the attraction of them, they require the same warmer temperatures (upper70's) and better water quality that Cardinals require, they're a bit less pretty than regular neons, they're smaller, and because of their size, they don't compete well for food even with mellow tankmates.

I think they would they would do well in a tank with Cory Habrosus and other less aggressive, diminutive sized fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.