The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up the hard scape on this cube. I may still add some roots below the bonsai and maybe a rock or two but it’s done for the most part. Planning on dwarf baby tears in all the spaces between rocks and the foreground and weeping moss for the bonsai. I’m wanting something grass like that will grow in a clump to add to a few spots for a different texture. I was thinking either micro sword or Crypt Parva. I want something that is pretty controllable that won’t send out a bunch of runners. Any suggestions on something that might work out better than my current possibilities? Also looking for a suggestion for behind the bonsai. I was thinking just more rock or possibly Isoetes Japonica. Lastly, black background or white? I’d love to get one of the ADA light screens but they are way out of my budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm not going to comment on plant suggestions, but I will comment on the background. Go to decorativefilms.com. You can find any type of film you could want for a background, but don't have to pay ADA prices.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lightground is distributed in the USA
by Studio Aquatica

https://www.studioaquatica.com/shop

[email protected]

https://www.thelightground.com/about-1

I have the 120 p model and it cost 1/4 of the amount of a ADA model.
I couldn’t figure out their website or how to actually order but I ended up getting something cheap from Current. I’m sure it’s not nearly the same quality but I figured for $50 it was worth a shot. Looks cool in the video at least

https://current-usa.com/serene-background-led-lights/

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just finished up the hard scape on this cube. I may still add some roots below the bonsai and maybe a rock or two but it’s done for the most part. Planning on dwarf baby tears in all the spaces between rocks and the foreground and weeping moss for the bonsai. I’m wanting something grass like that will grow in a clump to add to a few spots for a different texture. I was thinking either micro sword or Crypt Parva. I want something that is pretty controllable that won’t send out a bunch of runners. Any suggestions on something that might work out better than my current possibilities? Also looking for a suggestion for behind the bonsai. I was thinking just more rock or possibly Isoetes Japonica. Lastly, black background or white? I’d love to get one of the ADA light screens but they are way out of my budget.
For some more accent plants, around the rocks a stem or two of staurogyne repens might give a nice effect around some of the rock points. I think most foreground plants will send out runners, but with regular maintenance you should be able to cull back any unwanted new plants. For a grassy accent you could also look at some small patches of dwarf hair grass for some contrast.

Using Crypt Parva, DHG, and S. repens around the rocks you can break up the carpet line and spice up the foreground.

The background depends on what you want to do. You could go with rotala H'ra and some rotala rotundifolia green for some nice coloration behind the moss tree, or go with an iwagumi type background plant like the Isoetes Japonica.

Just suggestions to what could be done, you might want to experiment with different plant setups to see if you like one over the other.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some more accent plants, around the rocks a stem or two of staurogyne repens might give a nice effect around some of the rock points. I think most foreground plants will send out runners, but with regular maintenance you should be able to cull back any unwanted new plants. For a grassy accent you could also look at some small patches of dwarf hair grass for some contrast.

Using Crypt Parva, DHG, and S. repens around the rocks you can break up the carpet line and spice up the foreground.

The background depends on what you want to do. You could go with rotala H'ra and some rotala rotundifolia green for some nice coloration behind the moss tree, or go with an iwagumi type background plant like the Isoetes Japonica.

Just suggestions to what could be done, you might want to experiment with different plant setups to see if you like one over the other.
Thanks. Pretty crazy but I ordered some S.repens and Isoetes Japonica yesterday just before seeing your post for exactly the positions you suggested. I also picked up a cup of Eriocaulon Polaris. I haven’t seen it before but it seems to have the grass like look I’m wanting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.