The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's what's going on:
I have one eheim 2217 classic canister filter on my 85 gallon. I either want to buy a second filter, or buy one filter that is more powerful. I was originally going to buy a fluval fx5, but then i realized that there's no way it would fit in my stand, and there's no place to put it outside of the stand.

My 85 gallon is 72" wide, so i'm thinking that one on each side would be best. Should i just get another eheim 2217, or are there any other big filters that might fit in my stand?

Stand dimensions (inside): 11.5" wide, 20.5" tall, 72" long.
The cabinet door is 13.75" long.

Thanks.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oooo what about a EHEIM professionel 3e? I was just looking at those on the web. Is the price difference worth it? ($150+ more)

What if i got two of those and got rid of the classic? :O

·
Registered
399 Posts
+1 on the 2217, but if you want one with media baskets get a pro 3, not pro 3e.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason i was considering a pro 3e is because they look a lot easier to clean than the classics. Being able to disconnect the hoses and just remove the actual canister from the stand would be really nice. It's a pain to have to remove the tubes along with the canister for cleaning.

Also, the stream function might be nice. And the service indicator would be helpful.

Right now i'm leaning towards the pro 3e. Does anyone have one of these?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just got one Az, but I haven't installed it yet. There is someone on the forum that likes his and insists he gets better, more consistent flow out of his than he did on hos other Eheims. Search for 2076 and you'll likely find his comments.

There's one on eBay right now that is reasonably priced at $200.

AB

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got one Az, but I haven't installed it yet. There is someone on the forum that likes his and insists he gets better, more consistent flow out of his than he did on hos other Eheims. Search for 2076 and you'll likely find his comments.

There's one on eBay right now that is reasonably priced at $200.

AB
Wow, $200 is a steal! Lowest i could find online was $300.

I'll do a search on the forum for that guy - see if i can get any good reviews. :proud:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm with you on wanting to hear some opinions of the pulse/wave function of the Eheim 3e filters. I couldn't find many user experiences on the web last time I searched. I'm also looking for a filter for my 46 bowfront. I was considering pairing a vortech pump (for the wave circulation) with a canister, but it'd be nice to have it all in one package. I'm also considering being a guinea pig and trying the fluval G. Like you I want the easiest maintenance possible.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with you on wanting to hear some opinions of the pulse/wave function of the Eheim 3e filters. I couldn't find many user experiences on the web last time I searched. I'm also looking for a filter for my 46 bowfront. I was considering pairing a vortech pump (for the wave circulation) with a canister, but it'd be nice to have it all in one package. I'm also considering being a guinea pig and trying the fluval G. Like you I want the easiest maintenance possible.
The fluval G looks cool... but i don't know if it's reasonably priced for what you're getting. From what i read, there's not much exciting/new about it.

I may just get one eheim pro 3e 2072 and see how i like it. If i dont like it, then i'll sell it on craigslist. If i do like it, then i'll probably order a second and sell my 2217 classic. Most of the reviews i've read on the 2072 have been positive, and the video made by the company made me want it even more haha.

Company Video
Wave Function

·
Registered
399 Posts
I never heard of the 2072 model, but I have a pro 3 2080. IMO, my 2217's are easier maintenance because of the input on the bottom making it easy to drain the filter.

There are pro 3 2071, 2073, 2075, 2080 and pro 3e 2076, 2078 afaik.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i ordered an eheim pro 3e 2076 from marinedepot this evening. Was back on the deal of the day, only $229.99! ($120 savings)

Hoping it should be here by friday.

Once it's all set up, i'll let you know what i think of it. :hihi:

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the filter and media arrived today - on my birthday!

Unfortunately, my parents are out of town until Sunday, so i'm staying at my grandma's house (>_<). I won't be able to set it up until the weekend... or maybe sometime after school if i have time.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Well the filter and media arrived today - on my birthday!

Unfortunately, my parents are out of town until Sunday, so i'm staying at my grandma's house (>_<). I won't be able to set it up until the weekend... or maybe sometime after school if i have time.
Getting packages on your bday is always nice, happy birthday. I just finally got my order through today, geez. But I managed to get them to pricematch and include 4L of ehfisubstrat pro and 2L of ehfimech for $70.

Lets get this 3e party going! :bounce:

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting packages on your bday is always nice, happy birthday. I just finally got my order through today, geez. But I managed to get them to pricematch and include 4L of ehfisubstrat pro and 2L of ehfimech for $70.

Lets get this 3e party going! :bounce:
Thanks!

I got mine set up last Friday, and i love it! The wave function is very nice - the plants sway from side to side, but not too roughly. I did have to cut the spray bar though in order for it to fit on the left side.

Pretty quiet too.

The wave feature is the main reason why i bought it, and i'm very satisfied with the feature. I'm not sure if i will ever use any of the other features though, but i'm not saying they're worthless add-ons. Over-all, i think it's worth the extra money. Glad i decided to go with it instead of another 2217.

Now i'm saving up for a second one to put at the other side of the tank. ;)

I'll post some pictures later - i have an essay on greek mythology to write! >_<

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Stop doing homework and waste more time talking aquariums.

I have a question seen as you already got your filter up and running. I'm looking at the manual and it keeps mentioning to keep the spray bar above the water. Did you follow those directions? I prefer to have my spray bar below the water surface. (too loud and splashes when above) I'm just wondering if having it above water has to do with the priming or the auto air bleeding programs.. Let me know what you did and if everything is working alright.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts