The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went ahead and bought the ten gallon petsmart combo. It comes with the HOB filter and full hood. I'll will be using the 6500k screw in bulbs(13w)? I bought a 16 pound bag of flourite. I really dont want to add a heater but will if I have to. I figure the lights will keep it warm enough. I was thinking of using white cloud minnows to stock the tank. probably go with a diy co2 as well. The paintball co2 has me interested but I havent researched it yet. I'd like to go with some easier plants but love the look of a grass covered bottom.WHat are your ideas or suggestions for plants. Can this be achieved with my two screw in bulbs.Is tap water okay to use or should I use RO/DI water. When I kept reefs tap was a big no no,but maybe tap has some nutirients in it the plants will like?I am also up for suggestions if I should be doing this a different way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tap water is fine, what most people use RO/DI water for is shrimp-keeping.

For grassy plants, I would suggest dwarf hairgrass. I personally love the plant, its leaves are very thin and it grows pretty quickly under high light. Another grass-like plant is dwarf sag (sagittaria subulata), which also grows extremely fast and requires lower light. It's a different look than the hairgrass - a more spread out, spidery look.

I've never had white clouds before, but I do know they are regarded as a cold water fish, so maybe some other members can fill you in on how compatible they would be with tropical plants.

One suggestion I would make is to go for the best equipment first. I had the DIY CO2 before, but I just found it too messy and too much of a hassle to keep on a long-term basis. Switching to pressurized has been the best decision I've made.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have some white clouds in my 10 gallon tank with some brazilian pennywort, narrow leaf java fern, needle leaf java fern, java moss, anubias nana, anubias nana petite, bolbitis heudelotti, rotala rotundifolia, ~1.5" marimo moss ball, and dwarf water lilies (3 plants of two varieties, I think two of them are red lotus plants, not sure about the third as it is considerably smaller than the others). I try to keep my tank in the lower 70's. I haven't been very successful in that this summer and the tank has reached the upper 70's, nearly 80 degrees. I wouldn't recommend keeping white clouds at that temperature for long periods of time, but mine have done just fine with that temp. for a day or two.

So far, plants and fish all seem to be happy. In fact, I had to set up my 5 gallon tank so I could use it as a grow out tank for some fish fry. I'm hoping they are WCMMs, though they could be danios as I've got those in my 10 gallon as well.

Just to give you an idea, I've got two 10W 6500k bulbs on my 10 gallon. I've had a bit of an issue with algae but just put some red cherry shrimp in the tank in hopes that they'd help control the algae. Otherwise, everything in the tank is doing well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.