The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not a lot of experience here, but are you measuring the pH drop in addition to looking at what the drop checker says?

Also, are those parameters what's in the tank or what's coming out of the tap? Knowing both would prob help more.

I'm not sure about a low KH being "good" for CO2 as much as it's good for the softwater plants and fuana that inhabit most tanks. But a lot of that depends on your goals (Amazonian tank vs. African cichlid and so on). Also, AS will strip the water of KH and lower pH, but only until it runs out of its buffering capacity.

Just my two cents, but there's more experienced people who can help answer your question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those parameters are my tank water. My tap water as of last night was kh 8, gh 13. Is was higher than my tank water which I was a little surprised by, but I guess the aqua soil could have a hand in that.
What kind of Aquasoil do you have btw?

The AS will definitely lower it, at least until it's buffering capacity runs out. My tap dKH is 3 and in my tank it's usually 1 or lower. And as Freshfishguy stated, many plants require a low KH and AS is designed to create such an environment.

A dKH of 7 doesn't sound terrible, but at the same time isn't optimal. But again, it all depends on the plants you're keeping. Try researching the water parameters your plants prefer and maybe talk to people who have experience keeping plants in moderately hard water.

Obviously buying an RO unit is the best solution, but it can be pricey of course. Mixing will help, but might be a PITA overtime. Even a quarter mix is 3 gallons a week for 50 percent WC. Probably the best thing you can do is stay consistent with your parameters, whatever you decide on, and allow things to adapt accordingly.

Oops! Missed some of the responses above. Wouldn't have responded again if I saw those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts