The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Without getting too much into my current tank I want some thoughts on substrate. I currently use black Caribsea Floramax. I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately I have a not so nice layer of miracle gro under it, and an even less nice layer of cladophora on top of it.

After a year. I regret using the soil. I'd like to get the soil out, rinse the substrate, and replant.

Is it foolish to think I can save the Floramax but get all the dirt out? It's well water logged and packed with junk now that it won't float, and particle else is similar to the gravel I think. Any ideas on how I can separate the two so I can replant with just the Floramax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I would try to use a siphon to get as much of the floramax out of the tank selectively and if you do pick up some of the potting soil you can probably dry it all out and either sieve out the silt with a flour sieve from the kitchen section at a store, and if there are any like barky pieces they should be fairly easy to separate as well - if there is a lot of bark pieces they should float at the top after it has been dried out thoroughly

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
How much Floramax could you scoop out without contamination from the soil? Maybe you could save some of it.

Otherwise all new Floramax is probably the fastest way to do this.

Then, once you have the old substrate out of the tank see if you can separate it. Perhaps to set up another tank someday.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was thinking maybe you could put it all in a bucket and flush it with a garden hose as you agitate it. Hopefully the water would flush the lighter soil components out while the Floramax stays in the bucket. Other than child labor, that's all I got. I was also thinking along the lines of Diana, the perfect excuse to get a new tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.