The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal & would like to add c20{have no idea what to purchase} can some 1 tell me all i need or does any1 make a good complete setup?? my new coralife 4x65 6700 k should be here any day. & ive been told i need a good bit of c02 before i strat using that much light? also i have 2 emporor 400's &have had them for about 2 yrs & honestly dont like them very much was looking into a canister(fluval) the 100 gal tank 1 cant remember the model # .. is this s good choice& should i get a power head also to move some extra water??:iamwithst

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya thats what i thougt about the emperors THANKS. im getting the fluval think fx5?? {100 gal tank range?} for now do u think it would help if i removed the bio wheels & just pointed the spray bars down into the filter? i never really beleived the bio wheels helped anyways.. i have about 10-14 fish mostly rainbows, loaches & a GHOST KNIFE.. do u think i should keep current stocking levels or lower them a few fishes, or does it matter.. ill check out rex's site for the co2 setup

·
Registered
711 Posts
Your stock seems fine.loaches grow to be huge so no more fish than what you have,as far as EMP 400 goes ,yes you could try that,to reduce the ripples on the water surface but believe me you will end up removing them all together eventually,and just use a couple of powerhead plus your FX5 .

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a fellow owner/user of the Emps...you can pull the spray bar out, and wrap them up in tape, then put them back in. That way, they won't be used. I believe you get as much outgassing from them as the biowheels themselves.

What I actually did was wrap them in teflon tape, spiraled like a candy cane stripe, and then wrap them in black electrical tape. This way, the elec tape will stay mostly dry and not fail...while keeping the teflon tape in place tightly to block up the bar.

When wrapping...don't go too thick, and stay on the thinnest part with just the spray holes.

I now have my Emps on timers to run only at night when I am not injecting CO2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could i just fill end of spray bar with silicone?? that would block them completley until i get my fx5.. also with the size e cartridges do u think if i put some extra floss infront of them they would filter better of just put all 4 cartridges in them?? also when i feed my fish i have to unplug them completly because they have no way of slowing the water flow down like other filters of this type? i do light feedings so they arent off more than 5-10 minutes a day.. when u say surface ripples is it good to get rid of them all together?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Small suface movement is fine ,you will have to find a balance .as for your other question,do what ASTY says until you get your canister filter,even if you don't touch the spray bars and leave everything as they are and just cranck up the co2,you will have enough co2 ppm ,co2 is cheap ,but do it only for a little while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:help: until i get my c02 setup what can i do to up the levels???? in abit tight on $ right now just ordered new coralife 4x65 cp 6700 k & the fluval fx5 so im tapped i know i need to buy a c02 set up next but until i get $$ what can i do??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.