The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help figuring out what kind of light I would need and if I can find cheap lighting from Home Depot or Lowe's.

So first of all, I have a 10 gallon with 1.5 WPG, T-5 Flora-Glo Bulb. I have low-tech plants (which are growing slow) and Glosso. The Glosso is... well I wouldn't use the word DYING, just not growing, or growing REALLLY slowly. So I wanna find some new lighting for the tank, but I don't know what I can do. It's your average 10 gallon tank with a rim and etc. I plan on getting either T-8's or CFL's, and I'm kinda low on a budget, being a high school student haha.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd get a regular incandescent light fixture and then replace the incandescent bulbs with screw-in flourescent bulbs.

IMO that's the easiest way to set up a mid-to-high light 10gal tank.

You may not even need to do that, however. Are you running CO2 with your current setup? If not, I'd try that first, and see if just adding CO2 won't get your Glosso going.

You'd need CO2 anyways if you do end up upgrading your lighting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently I have a DIY Yeast Method going, but it's not really working. Not sure why though, I need a diffuser too at the moment. I think I know why it's not working, I'll take a picture of it. See if you can identify what it is.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
The most common problem with DIY CO2 is that there is a leak somewhere in the setup.

The second most common problem is a problem with the yeast mixture, such as using water that was too hot to initially dissolve the yeast.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
+1 on lauraleellbp's suggestion.

I had that type fixture along with Excel and pinches of macro and micro fertilizers at water changes and was very pleased with the 10 gallon tank. Never was brave enough to try Glosso but Marsilea didn't ever form a nice carpet although it certainly looked nice enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts