The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm completely new to the whole dosing thing so I was wondering if I could get some help.

I just got my shipment of CSM+B, KNO3, and K2PHO4. What I have is a low tech 10 gallon that I am currently using Excel in. I am not using CO2 and I have 1.5 wpg.

I went out and bought (3) 236.5 ml storage bottles. They have a drip spout so I'm hoping to just measure drops out of these bottles. How many tsp of each fertilizer should I add to these 2236.5 ml bottles? I've seen numerous threads on this, but the only thing that really makes sense is dry dosing, and I don't want to mess with measuring 1/32 tsp increments.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
First of all, the CSM+B should be in its own solution. Don't mix it with the macros.

That being said, I highly recommend dry dosing. It's extremely easy and hassle-free, as long as you have the 1/32 tsp scoop. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to "mess" with 1/32 tsp increments.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, the CSM+B should be in its own solution. Don't mix it with the macros.

That being said, I highly recommend dry dosing. It's extremely easy and hassle-free, as long as you have the 1/32 tsp scoop. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to "mess" with 1/32 tsp increments.
I looked at 3-4 different places and the lowest scoop size i could find was 1/8. Where did you find something that small? I went to Wal-Mart, Target, local food stores.... maybe I just looked in the wrong spot.

And for the record, I was planning on mixing each fertilizer in its own bottle, not all together.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My 2 Cents

Dry dosing works just fine, but if you want a little more control and/or dose a little less sometimes, stock solutions can be easier. Keep PO4 separate from CSM to prevent the Fe and PO4 from forming a precipitate, rendering it useless. I keep KNO3 separate to very the dose depending on the situation. But, K2SO4 and KNO3 can be added to CSM+B without any problems. It's realy not that different then mixing PMDD.

The next thing I notice is the size of your mixing bottles. They really are quite large. I make stock solutions, but never more then 500mL at a time. Even a 250mL stock solution will sit for some time before I need to mix a fresh batch. Chuck Gadd’s dosing calculator can help you create stock solutions for KNO3 and KH2PO4. http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

If you would like to create a stock solution for CSM+B You are better off mixing small amounts if all you have to dose is a 10 gallon tank. The information is nothing new and comes from Practical PMDD Information. http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html
It should go something like this;
Add 1 tablespoon of CSM+B to 500 mL of distilled water for a stock solution
[(3*4300)/100*6.53]*1000/500
≈1684.74mg/L Fe
Adding 1mL stock solution to 1L of column
=1.68474mg/L.
Assuming a 10 gallon tank has a 30L water column - 2.5mL of this stock solution
≈ .14ppm of Fe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts