The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly I have eight Otocinclus in my tank. I can only visually see like 3, But I did find a dead one when I re-scaped, there doesn't seem to be much algae for them to much on anymore since they cleared it all up. I try putting algae wafers and cucumber and zucchini but I never see them go at it or find traces of them doing so in the morning. Is there something I can do to help or to encourage them to eat??

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have kept some that would take dried marine alage sold at some fish stores. Would hang it from veggie clip. You could also place some stones in a large glass dish or bowl and set the bowl in front of window that gets direct sunlight. Alage should begin to grow on the stones and then you can place the stones in the tank for the little fellas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my experience, either some otos just like to hide alot or maybe their favorite food source is just in a hard to see area of the tank. I have four in a tank that I thought were gone, but later did a rescape and found them all sucking on the back glass near the intake/heater. With the plants in place, virtually impossible to see them, otherwise. These same otos are a lot more visible now than they used to be. Perhaps they exhausted all the algae off their old "hiding place" and now are having to scavenge in more easily viewed areas.

Second the blanched zucchini. I put mine in around 8-9 pm, and usually by the next morning only the rind is left, and that is usually gone by the time I get home from work that afternoon. Amano shrimp often help finish off the rind, I've noticed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.