The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As im sure most of you have come across my first post of my tank. well anyways I think I may be havin some plant issues and would like to know whats up from you experts.

Basically Im gettin alot of brown from most of my plants. even my grass on the bottom. I got a bottle of SEACHEM "FLOURISH NITROGEN" that i started using this week.

I also use the following products once a week:
- Seachem PRIME "remover"
- Fritz Zyme #7
- KENT Freshwater Formula K-Fe

**I HAVE 130WATT LIGHT SYSTEM ON THIS 30 TALL. 2X 65'S. IM RUNNIN A 7LB CO2 SYSTEM WITH ABOUT 4-5 BUBBLES PER SECOND.

Heres the tank:

**Please note the grass being nice a somewhat thick on the bottom floor.

Heres my problem:

Am i just going overboard? Is this just nature takin its course...

But...my fish are still happy :) Cardinals not shows. Just got these two angels the other day. They're huge!

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY TANK GOIN!!!

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
676 Posts
Raise the water level so the spray bar is completely submerged, that way you won't outgas your C02. Also, make sure your C02 is being completely dissolved. But seeing as how you have a tall tank im not sure that that's your problem. It also sounds like your not dosing proper mircros
+ macros. Check out rex's guide and place an order with greg Watson for ferts; they're pretty cheap. But all in all it's look good, just dont give up!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Like Nightshop said, you are probably losing a good amount of co2 through the surface agitation. Either raise the water level or lower the spraybar. Also I find that having the diffuser about halfway of the tank works better since the bubbles are finer and mount it in the path of the output flow to get better dissolving action.

With that much light you should be dosing a good amount of ferts with lots of co2.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Are those sword plants new additons to the tank? if so they are probably shedding their emersed growth for the submerged. Mine did that when i first got it for a couple weeks. all the leaves turned to skeletons and fell off. but for everyone it lost a new one grew in that was a longer/pointier leaf versus short and broad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traded in a blue lamp I had gotten with my light fixture and got some credit ($41.00) and decided to fill in my ground with these babies. as well as the clover type plants. Filled in nicely.

Thank you all for your comments. I'll be sure to move some stuff around and see what happens.

I'll just be sure to trim / clean them off everytime i change my water.

CHeers.
Adam

I NEED SOME TALLER PLANTS HUH? lol

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
http://adamlowery.com/plantss9.jpg
this is a sword plant reproducing.
The 2nd pic is a plant that needs to be removed asap. it is not aquatic and you will always have problems with it(until it melts).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts