The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago I noticed one of my cpd's was swimming oddly. Upon further inspection I noticed her tail was clamped. At the time I really didn't think much of it, but I just fed them and found 2 more with the same issue. I also found another that had a white patch on her tail as well. I've had all the fish in the is tank for 3 months now and have added nothing new since then and all the parameters check out okay. I'm not sure what the deal is and how to treat it as it is obviously spreading. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
A few days ago I noticed one of my cpd's was swimming oddly. Upon further inspection I noticed her tail was clamped. At the time I really didn't think much of it, but I just fed them and found 2 more with the same issue. I also found another that had a white patch on her tail as well. I've had all the fish in the is tank for 3 months now and have added nothing new since then and all the parameters check out okay. I'm not sure what the deal is and how to treat it as it is obviously spreading. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Closer pictures would be better. However, If there is a white patch, or multiple, white patches that look like salt gains, it is probably ich. Fortunately, it is easy to solve with some OTC medicines that will kill inverts and stain tank. Ive had great success with the all natural remedies petco sells.
If they don't look like little pieces of salt it may be fungal. There are medicines that treat a variety of fungus' at once. Ive never needed to use them so can't help there. Good luck

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Defiantly not ich, I've been there done that. It's the clamped fin issue that's bothering me as it's spreading. It's hard for me to get a better picture because they just won't stay still.

Edit: Iwas reading through a list of common fish ailments and the only one I found that included clamped fins was septicemia.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Defiantly not ich, I've been there done that. It's the clamped fin issue that's bothering me as it's spreading. It's hard for me to get a better picture because they just won't stay still.

Edit: Iwas reading through a list of common fish ailments and the only one I found that included clamped fins was septicemia.
I can see it on the left side fish. Try one of those all in one anti fungal or something of the sort. It looks like some sort of fungus. Never had to deal with anything other ICH. I hope all works out. maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Its going to be hard to say what the issue is. But all aquariums have disease and unstressed fish usually aren't susceptible. I would do extra water changes to see if they improve and watch them intently to see if they are getting harassed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Some bacterial infections in fish show up like fuzz too. People fuzz is usually fungal, fish are a little different. A UV in the system might help, antibiotics might help, but identifying the type of bacteria and targeting it works best. Most shops don't do that. They look at symptoms and throw something broad spectrum at it. Its obviously not anaerobic, since its living on the surface of the fish. I forget which antibiotics you can get for fish, I have been working on people too long. Kanamycin does mostly gram negative some gram positive. Penicillin based does mostly gram positive. Metronidazole does anaerobic (internal) infections and parasites. So, if you were in Denver I'd say hit me up and we can gram stain the bug and target it. But without that you have a few options. If you can get your hands on an agar bacteria plate, catch the fish take a q-tip swab the infection and spread it all over the plate. Put a tiny bit of the drugs you want to know if will be effective in small spots. Label them. Let it grow on a counter at room temp overnight. Which ever drug spot doesn't look covered in nasty bacteria worked. I taught this trick to the local fish store. They loved it. But you have to get your hands on agar for it to work. I used to mix kanamycin and metronidazole into the food and feed that to my shrimp when they got sick, between the two it killed pretty much anything, except my shrimp. A UV can be huge though. It will kill the bacteria that are free floating in the water (and algae).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.