The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to figure out if I'm doing anything wrong. The tank has been running just under 3 weeks and things just aren't looking too good. The tank is a 29 gallon with a 24 inch 2 bulb Odyssea t5HO fixture with 6500K Ge bulbs. Its only running on one bulb now to keep it low light.

We dose excel daily, flora pride weekly and added root tabs on 9-15. We are using eco-complete substrate with a thin layer of black sand on top

Our annubis, amazon sword, and primrose all have brown and green algae growing on the leaves and the annubis also has a little brush algae on its leaves (it got it when it was in our last tank), but the brush is slowly going away since dosing excel. The 2 crypts seems to be doing ok and the green crypt has even grown a little, but they too also have a little algae on the leaves. The only thing doing great are the java ferns.

Our annarchis is looking bad, but I know it doesn't do well with excel so it will be transferred to another tank soon.
Here are some pictures.

I'm not sure if there is actually problem, or if the tank is just young and things still need to settle in and I'm just overreacting, lol.
Its our 1st true attempt at a planted and I want to make sure I'm doing it right from the start. Thank you for any input

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an odyessa which has a lousy reflector, and only one bulb is installed, if that makes any differance. If not ill give raising it up a try

Sent from my Sony Xperia Play using tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 hours

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, i will cut the photoperiod down to 8 hrs. I do a 12 hr light period on our reef so i guess i assumed the same was good for plants, lol

Being what the light is and only 1 bulb running, is it good where it is, or should we still move it higher

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give it a try and see how they improve. Thank you.

Im so use to lighting a reef with tons of light, lol We have a 250 watt halide over a 20 long frag tank and 500 watts of metal halide on our 75 gallon display

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Planted tanks don't need nearly the light that reef tanks do. I think you've been getting good advice thus far. You might want to lower your photoperid even a bit more (6 hours) and keep dosing the Excel till you get the algae under control. Lowering the light will help keep the algae from spreading as quickly, and Excel will kill some of the hair-type algaes and give the plants a carbon boost. The worst affected leaves you may need to go ahead and prune away.

A Nerite snail may be a good addition to the tank as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
+1

Ditto on the advice given thus far. You could also try adding a small amount of macro ferts every week. My low tech tanks benefit nicely from the addition of small amounts of macros on a weekly basis. I would not recommend changing a great many things at one time. Change one parameter and then wait a couple of weeks to see the results. If you change several things all at once it will be difficult to know for sure what works and what doesn't. Just my not so humble opinion. Good luck.

stu

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone. For now I just adjusted the lighting. I cut it down to 7 hours a day and raised it up a little. I'll see how it does over the next week or 2 and go from there

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to give an update. The algae has stopped growing and is slowly receding. Our crypts are starting to look real good and im starting to see some new growth on our annubis. Hopefully things will look even better over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just another update, everything is starting to look great. Most of the algae is gone, except for on the annubis, but that is receding slowly so it wont be long. Now we just have to decide what else we want to add for plants.

Thank you again for all the help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well now the leaves on 2 of our green crypts have started to thin and look bad. 1 has been in the tank since shortly after starting it and had been growing quickly and looking great. The other has been in the tank around 2 weeks. What would be the cause of this? I've been using root tabs and added more last week and still dose the flourish weekly and excel daily. The light is still only on 6 hours a day as well.

On the up side all the algae is gone, aside from a little brush algae on the anubis. We only have to clean the glass maybe once every week to week and a half

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Your crypt is being a crypt. They're often tempermental about being moved around or any big changes in their environment and will go through "crypt melt." Leave them alone and most of the time they grow back, though. :proud:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. As of now they are doing great again lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.