The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story.
I got a large order of crs in on Wednesday . Drip acclimated for 9 hours and added them to my tank. Everybody was doing great until I came home from work today (Friday) to see 4 dead in the tank. Quickly removed the dead and fed the colony a little food.

I noticed 2 shrimp acting funny doing the jump in the water and floating down slowly landing on their side. I've seen this behavior before and I knew this is bad news. Took the shrimp out and put them in quarantine where they proceeded to lay on their backs twitching. Did a smallwater change added a bit of malafix aand an air stone.

Fast forward 4-5 hours. They are just chilling in quarantine looking much better. What do I do now? Add them back to the main tank?

Parameters of main tank
Temp 72 no fluctuations
Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Gh 7
Kh 0
Tds.212

Do you guys think I should be suspect of bacterial infection or just stressed from moving?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Did you test seller water?
Stress from shipping is always big factor. I saw how our USPS guys are throwing boxes around facilities 10 yards away -playing basketball with our packages.
So after shipping stress + new water + ne bacterial environment = some dead shrimps.
Usually you can expect most dead to appear 2-3rd day then 14-18th day period.
If you are concern for sickness or bacterial infection –it is too early. You will need 2-3 weeks to see the problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All my dead appear to be healthy, full coloration. I pulled one out today that I didn't even realize was dead until I saw a snail chewing on him. Looked really vibrant with full wiskers so I am not sure its bacterial.

Is it expected to lose a few shrimp when you bring new ones in?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
If the water parameters are in opposite directions, yes. Ask what is seller TDS and PH.
I’ve bought some SSS shrimps from TPT member and his TDS was 290.When I add them to my water TDS 125 they wasn't able to acclimatize and I lost 25% of them.
Moved the shrimps in tank with TDS 250-all fine. When the shrimps are almost mature or mature you can expect much more losses. That why best purchasing size is 1/4-1/2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts