The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can I have fish I buy from the pet store in the bag water moved to a big bowl that's put floating in the tank?

I will add about 20 tank water and a tiny bit of prime to lock bad bacteria.

Could this last about 8 hours while I am at work??

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Depends on how many. But from the sound of it you bought the tank and fish on the same day ? How is that water going to be cycled ?
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
A cycle takes from two weeks to longer. Or you can use one of the bacteria products
that add those bacteria for you. Tetra Safe Start has worked for me on the two
times I have used it.
I would eirther return those fish and cycle the tank or get some Tetra Safe Start
quickly if you have not cycled the tank yet.
I hope you have aheater in there and that the water is already at about 78F.
If thetank is already cycled then if there are three or four fish in a large bag it may last an hr or so. Just watch them and if they come to the top to breath the Oxygen
is running out and they need to be let loose in the tank.

·
Registered
435 Posts
First of all, Prime does not kill bad bacteria, it renders ammonia harmless.

Secondly, Why would you not transfer the fish to the tank? Are these fish being shipped to you and will arrive in the mail?

Lastly, what unit of measure is 20 tank water?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I have to work, the sale is now and its the only chance I have to get the fish this weekend. I will use ATM colony when I add fish. Plus lots of floating and other plants to help with healthy water.

I just need to know if they can sit in approx 3L of water floating in the tank with plants floaters on top for 8 hours. I am talking 15 small tetras

20% sorry

I was thinking to add a tiny bit of prime to lock amonia for a while while I was at work. And with the floating plants I can fill the top and help with nitrates

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
If I understand correctly, you're talking about putting them in a bowl, using bag water and 20% tank water, and letting that float in the tank for 8 hours with a few plants on top?

I dont understand why not just put them in the tank, but I believe they would be alright if that's your only option.

Oxygen is going to be more of a problem in the short term than ammonia build up. 3L is a decent amount of water though. Ive kept fish in much less for several hours before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.