The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 20 gallon long with a finnex sting ray. I know its not that much light, but eventually I'll upgrade.

I just added a pressurized co2 system. It's on the same timer as my lighting. Since my lighting is pretty weak I'm doing only about 1 bubble every 3-5 seconds. I'm curious what kind of lighting period you guys would recommend. I haven't had much algae issues. I have occasional spots of cladophora that I'm able to pull off manually. Right now it's just got jungle val, dwarf sag, and I'll be starting some dwarf hairgrass or similar carpet plant soon.

My main goal is to have a good amount of viewing hours.

One thing! I noticed that co2 is still going into the tank after the solenoid turns it off. I'm pretty sure this is because there is still pressure in the co2 line after the solenoid. Do you think this is a big issue? If so how can I fix it?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Many people will start the CO2 before the lights come on so there is a good supply to get the plants off to a running start. Then turn off the CO2 before the lights go out. This will allow whatever is in there to discharge, and not waste CO2 when there is no light for the plants to use it.

Lighting: You can set up the lighting for 2 viewing periods per day, if you want to. Several hours in the morning, as you are getting up, feed the fish etc. Then off for several hours mid day, then on again for several hours in the evening when you are home to view the tank.
Total hours could be anywhere from 8-12 (divided however you want) or you can make it more or less as you see how the plants and algae respond.
I did that sort of schedule in the summer to keep the temperature down. About 4 hours each morning and evening, and at least 4 hour break in the hottest part of the day. Tanks were near windows with shear curtains, so it was not really dark.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.