The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am in need of some advice regarding a fish order I just placed. I have ordered fish online a few times without any issues. However, I recently placed an order for 15 CPDs with overnight shipping. They came in this morning split between two tiny bags and three of these fish were dead on arrival. Several of these fish (~ 6) have sunken bellies and severely hunched backs and do not swim right. The rest of these fish look normal and healthy.

My question is, is this something that I should complain about to the company? Is the hunched back common in this species? I read that these fish were sometimes over bred and so I'm wondering if this is likely just poor stock with genetic deformities. My goal was to establish a breeding colony with these guys, so I am very disheartened with this group of fish.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
I would contact the company. Say that some arrived unhealthy and 3 were dead. Depending on their doa policy they will either refund or ship again for the dead ones. the sick ones I dunno?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response! They do have a DOA policy, so I will follow up with them and see what they say.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The hunched thing is a defect, a reputable company should refund or replace them.

Reactions: Kubla

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for confirming this. I have contacted the company and hope to have a resolution.Hopefully the defect will be isolated to those individual fish and not show up in fry if I manage to breed the healthy looking ones.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I once had an awful delivery of plants, not fish. I contacted the seller, with photos, and had an immediate refund. A reputable place will do that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Make sure you provide photos when you follow up with them. They should refund/replace all dead/sick/genetically defective fish. Then you can give the sick/defective fish away or put the sick ones in a hospital tank to try to nurse them back to health.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts