The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I love to have red and white roses in my garden. But actually I'm living in an apartment but there is a balcony near my bedroom. I have seen raised beds in my uncle's house. He is growing tomatoes in it. My doubt is, can we grow roses in raised beds ? I am confused about the available light and water. Because the balcony is partially covered. Please share your opinions, guys.
Also, please suggest a good garden bed expert. My uncle got the help of 'In the backyard', raised garden bed experts in Canada.
:smile2:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes you can. There are many types and the sprawling pink ones might be more suitable in your case. Roses are endemic to arid regions so love tons of heat and soil lacking in nutrition. When under stress they flower. Pampering them produces less flowers. It certainly would be easier buying an indigenous plant that suits the location rather than forcing an exotic to have a view from the balcony - and leaning out from your window to prune them might be a health hazard.

Bump: *An estimated 86,500 balcony fall-related injuries were treated in US hospitals alone from 1990 through 2006. Roses can be dangerous. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You can even grow roses potted. Look into: miniature roses and 'tree' roses.
Good Luck!
:D

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Our last house we had hundreds of roses. And pretty much thousands of dollars into them. We were importing a bunch we couldn't find in the States. We were pretty much growing them organically.
What grows is determined by your area. You don't specify yours. It also matters what stock the rose is grafted onto.
Here in humid Florida teas, chinas grow well. Musks and bourbons don't do well in humid climes.
I tried to get roses on Fortuniana root stock instead of the more common Dr. Huey. The Fortuniana is more for areas with nematodes which aren't as prevalent in container grown so you could go with the less expensive Huey stock. You can also look for own root roses instead of grafted. There is a difference between the same rose grafted on different stock versus an own root.
When we were growing I was fortunate to have a friend that owed me a few favors. He is pretty good with the roses and has a few that he was able to patent.

Our requirements were probably different then yours. We wanted fragrant flowers. That meant very few of the hybrids. And we stayed with roses before 1950. (We did have a few that were more recent but not many)

My mother in law grows about 50 plants in 5 gallon buckets. There is a woman with a green thumb for propagating roses. She uses a ton of horse manure she gets from me. While it should yield tons of foliage because of the high nitrogen with little flower right now her yard is ablaze with color.
We also had a few miniature roses. Somewhere under 100 plants. Nice color also that is great in pots and buckets if need be.

My two favorite roses are Toro for the high petal count and Maman Cochet. A new rose and an old one.

In this house roses are tough. The deer love eating them up. We've got a few. Mostly Archduke Charles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts