The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some idea of what kind of plants can survive with regular aquarium gravel and the stock light on a 50 gallon corner tank. I know mosses would work but I am not sure what else would survive these conditions.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
You'll be lucky to grow moss for that matter, floating plants like water sprite are about all you'll do that well with.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL thanks Tom. I wasn't sure if anything would grow in the tank. Its a friends tank and I wanted to see if they could do anything with plants....I know I personally could never go back to a plantless tank.

·
Registered
138 Posts
oblongshrimp,

I could never return to the "plantless" side either. Looking back at it, I wish I went with plants from the very beginning. It would've saved me a lot of time, frustration, and money. Not to mention, my fiance' started enjoying the hobby more once live plants were in the equation.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Without knowing exactly what the "stock" light is I can only recommend the following without any certainty that they will survive.

Likely candidates are:
Anubias
Microsorium
Cryptocoryne
Vallisneria
Egeria
Lemnaceae :icon_eek:

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
most apongetons, some swords will survive for a few months at least under that, java fern, hornwart, anacharis, moss(exluding riccia and the likes)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I did have some Anubias survive in a 5 gallon with the stock light. Emphasis on "survive." Although now that I think about it, I seem to remember getting a couple of blooms and the occasional new leaf out of them. Nothing special about the tank, it was/is my betta tank.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Corner tanks tend to have even less light than a standard rectangle because of the odd shape. What about some easy floaters? Dwarf water lettuce, giant duckweed, frogbit, regular duckweed, salvinia, wolfia - those would at least put some green in the tank for the fish to nibble on and would help soak up nitrates.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The plants I had really good success with using just the stock lighting is Taiwan Lillies, Red Jungle Vals, Hygrophila Polysperma, and surprisingly Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'. It just stays green instead of turning redish-orange. I did upgrade though and added other plants and those i just mentioned just grew out of control.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'd have to say, find out how much light is on the tank, then we can really help you... I grow pleanty of stuff in my 10g with the single strip stock light. And another moss tank I have less than 1WPG and it grows great!

-Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts