The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have multiple threads on the forum last several weeks. I am setting up a 25cube. I am phishing for as much info as I can get. I have my heart set on dwarf baby tears for the foeground (partially for the challenge)...maybe open to suggestion. I need to know what is the best type of moss to attach to my drift wood...it will look like an underwater triangular stump. Some midground and background suggestions would be wonderful as well. I might want to stick to 4-5 types of plants or so. Greens and reds. Please help I'm kind of at a loss here and need some knowledge from experienced PTers on how to setup the tank. I really do not want to do a rock Iwagami or biotope. Just a nice lush planted tank. I will be running the GLA primo system with the atomic inline. Starting with 1 Ray 2 and will most likely add a second or planted plus with it. Aqua Vibrant suggested I start with one and then add the other. Besides being crazy expensive, the last 2 weeks planning this thing has been both exciting and overwhelming :eek:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dwarf baby tears is a pretty, delicate plant, but IMO it looks better in smaller "nano" size tanks. At 25 gal, your tank would be a good size for a carpet of Glossostigma. It's only slightly larger than Baby Tears, but it still has that delicate appearance. Its also been easier for me to grow than baby tears. I get algae in it and end up pulling more out than is able to grow..Another option would be a mixed carpet of both plants. For either of these plants, you'll need a fine, fertile substrate; bright lighting; and CO2.

An attractive red stem plant is Alternanthera reineckii. It grows a thick red bush and is pretty easy to grow, just needs enough light on the lower leaves for them to stay healthy.

As for greens, there are hundreds of species, some even grow too fast for a high tech setup.. Just see what your fish store has and do some research on their plants, if employees are knowledgeable ask them for some advice. Sword plants make nice, simple centerpiece plants or background, but for your tank you'll want a small one. I have several swords that have grown large enough to fill a 25 cube by themselves. Some swordplants come in a 'compact' form, and those could work well, too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwarf baby tears is a pretty, delicate plant, but IMO it looks better in smaller "nano" size tanks. At 25 gal, your tank would be a good size for a carpet of Glossostigma. It's only slightly larger than Baby Tears, but it still has that delicate appearance. Its also been easier for me to grow than baby tears. I get algae in it and end up pulling more out than is able to grow..Another option would be a mixed carpet of both plants. For either of these plants, you'll need a fine, fertile substrate; bright lighting; and CO2.

An attractive red stem plant is Alternanthera reineckii. It grows a thick red bush and is pretty easy to grow, just needs enough light on the lower leaves for them to stay healthy.

As for greens, there are hundreds of species, some even grow too fast for a high tech setup.. Just see what your fish store has and do some research on their plants, if employees are knowledgeable ask them for some advice. Sword plants make nice, simple centerpiece plants or background, but for your tank you'll want a small one. I have several swords that have grown large enough to fill a 25 cube by themselves. Some swordplants come in a 'compact' form, and those could work well, too.
Thanks for your help and suggestion:proud:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hygrophila corymbosa is a bright green stem plant.

Anubias or any Cryptocornes are easy to grow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts