The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a plant suggestion for the circled area on my tank. It’s only recently been planted, but I can already tell this area is going to be a problem. Here are the plants I have in there currently…

Foreground: HC Cuba
In between rocks: DHG & Anubias Nana Petite
Far left: Ludwigia sp Super Red
Background: Eleocharis Vivipara

The original plan was for the circled area to be HC Cuba all the way to the back glass. I had some concerns that this area wasn’t going to get enough water flow, but I figured I would plant it and see how it went. Now that the plants are starting to grow in (this pic is a few weeks old, it’s exploded since this was taken), I can see the Vivipara is going to be shading this area pretty bad. Add that to the lack of flow, and I’m almost positive that the HC will never thrive here.

I was thinking some sort of Anubias, like Glabra, Congensis, or Lanceolata, but I would also like a splash of color that won’t just get tangled up in the hairgrass. This is directly in the path of some pretty strong water flow, so any tall, delicate stems will just be blown over like the Vivipara is. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tank specs:

125G
Substrate: lava rock gravel with BDBS cap
Lighting- Med/High[censored] (60 PAR at the front glass, probably 80 where this plant will be going)
Temp- 25C
Filter: Fluval FX6
CO2- 40-50ppm (8.0-6.6 ph drop)
Ferts- 1/2 E.I. Dosing until plants fill in. Monitoring Nitrate and Phosphate, and will increase dosing as needed until full EI is reached.

I do a 50% water change weekly. Nitrates are usually around 20 and Phosphates are 2 just before my water change.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
If you worried about light and want a little color I think a Crypt wendtii red or bronze would probably work. It's also a very sturdy plant. Some of those Anubias you mentioned I think are too big. From the pic it looks like you can do the HC if that's what you really want. Also Eleocharis montevidensis is a thicker and cleaner tall hairgrass than Vivipara and doesn't get those knots in the middle.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you worried about light and want a little color I think a Crypt wendtii red or bronze would probably work. It's also a very sturdy plant. Some of those Anubias you mentioned I think are too big. From the pic it looks like you can do the HC if that's what you really want. Also Eleocharis montevidensis is a thicker and cleaner tall hairgrass than Vivipara and doesn't get those knots in the middle.
I was considering Montevidensis, but I read that it can't be trimmed like normal hair grass, and that it grows like 4 ft tall if you let it. I spent some time trying to figure out how to use it without it getting out of control, and settled on Vivipara instead.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I was considering Montevidensis, but I read that it can't be trimmed like normal hair grass, and that it grows like 4 ft tall if you let it. I spent some time trying to figure out how to use it without it getting out of control, and settled on Vivipara instead.
I actually have the Montevidensis growing in my 12g long which is only 10" high. It hits the surface and then goes horizontial across the top. Hasn't grown to 4 ft more like 2 - 2 1/2 ft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.