The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a penguin 200 and a Aquatech 20-40 gallon HOB filter on my 29 gal aquarium.

I use the aqua-tech #3 ez change cartridges in these filters.

These get clogged quickly and I would like to know what other people are using in their filters.

I saw some on DR F&S that would fit these filters but I would like to get something with a coarse and fine filter so that I can clean the coarse filter weekly and not keep changing cartridges every week or 2 weeks.

If any of you have tried putting bioballs or any other type of bio material in your penguin please let me know your experience.

Or just tell me what to put in mine

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I was starting out, it was with a Wal-Mart tank with an Aquatech. I eventually got sick of the cartridges and "made" my own by cutting all the blue floss off a used cartridge, dumping the carbon in the trash, and taking cut-to-size foam from PetSmart (the blue & white stuff), using the black frame as a template. I then just used the black frame to keep the floss mat in place, and during my water changes I'd just wring out the mat in a bucket of tank water, then put it back. Upgrading to 2 HOB filters (switched up to the penguins for the biowheels), I continued doing the same thing on both.

IMO, the carbon isn't really needed most of the time, unless you're trying to get rid of meds in the water. The rest of the time, a couple layers of mechanical, and the biological filtration should be fine. If you were so inclined, you could pick up a filter sponge or two of various coarsenesses, trim them the same way, and use the black frame as a support for those. There's really not a lot of room for things to slip around much, and if you cut slightly bigger, the slot the cartridge slips into will also help hold everything in place.

·
Registered
345 Posts
:thumbsup:

I do the same. Cut filter media to size and wrap a rubber band or two around it. Here are some from the Petsmart site.

HBH Aqua-Pure Filter Media-soft material
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754135&lmdn=Brand

HBH Polyfiber Filter Pad-coarser/denser than above but holds up to multiple rinsings. Much smaller amount in pkg. than the one above, But I like to use this for a bio media pad.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754122&lmdn=Brand

Marineland Rite-Size Filter Pads- this is the blue material. Works ok for top a layer.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752363&lmdn=Category

Get a bag of rubber bands from a stationery store and you're set.

Don't forget to save all the old filter cartridges to use as replacements when the ones in use start to bend and get out of shape.
And keep a few cartridges on hand in case you ever need to add carbon to the filters.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On my Emperor's, I used the Imagine filters (same as the Foster and Smith). When they would get clogged, I'd throw away the floss insert, and cut blue and white bulk filter material to fit the plastic frame. Seemed to work well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts