The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all, as you can see I'm new, I've known about this awesome site for a few years now, finally decided to join :icon_smil anyways...

I had a 30 gallon, 30" that I decided to clean up and start setting up as a shrimp tank, with a carpet of glosso and/or dwarf hairgrass.

I spent some time shopping around for some decent lighting, and decided to set up:

3x 26 watt, 1610 lumen, CFL, with aluminum work clamp housing @6500k

I did some rough math and it seems I might only be getting about 8-9 lumens per square inch :( (accounting for light lost into the ambient room. I know this could be fixed with some better housing that redirects more of the light into the tank, but even with optimal setup, I would only be getting about 14 lumens/si. Squared falloff is pretty harsh, with lightbulbs being 19 inches from the average substrate point. I think my tank might be a bit too tall lighting wise, for the kinds of plants I want to get in here.

Opinion on my lighting? I had to switch off two lights because of the glare. Haha, I still have to find a better filter though, still using stock :p

Thanks a bunch,
Marco

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I really don't like the housing itself, seems like it lets a lot of light out..
well, with the diy co2 and lighting I've had these for about two weeks now. the plants were dying when I got them. they really perked up and started growing. as I speak all the plants are pearling. it's funny to watch, like little intense streams of bubbles coming off them.

I think I might be alright to try some dwarf hair grass. no harm in trying, right? I just found out about a store that apparently has a great selection of planted tank stock. I really want to get some plants in ASAP. all the excess nutrients are causing some brown diatom growth. :angryfire UGLY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts