The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The online sources are all over the place in regards to info. Some say aggressive, some say not. Many say they prefer low water temps (64 to 71) and don't need heaters - but I would want then in a community tank that requires higher temps.(unless I do them as a species-only tank) Adult sizes range from 2.5" to 4" which is it?

So if you have, or have had Odessas, please chime in! I have a "wishlist" thread going on the fish forum and based on what has been posted there I am strongly considering Odessa Barbs for either a species-only tank, or a tank shared with Columbian tetras.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I just got 6 of these last night at the local Aquarium club meeting. I was told they could easily handle room temperatures. The guy who raised them had them outside until the end of September. I got a few conflicting reports on them eating plants.

I really can’t answer the rest as they are just babies right now. I find this site is usually pretty accurate.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pethia-padamya/

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying! You'll have to stop back sometime & let me know how you like them. Plant eating fish don't bother me, my favorite fish is the Buenos Aires tetra, and I've been experimenting with plants to see what they won't eat (not much - lol). If you can, I'd love to see you post pics of your fish here : )

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have some, they're awesome fishes. They have lots of personality, and follow you around when you pass by. They're lots of fun !

Mine share the tank with a breeding pair of Kribensis, they are perfect dither fishes because they don't mind the aggression, and they are so quick anyway, they just swim out of the way.

Initially I had a school of 6. Now I have about 20. They are extremely active breeders if you provide fry cover.

I have found that their aggressiveness level increases with the size of the school. I actually need to get rid of some now, because they are so highly competitive regarding food, with a school of 20, feeding becomes a real frenzy and my kribs (even though they are cichlids, bigger and supposedly more aggressive) don't get any food.

Here is a video of mine, showing their personality and behavior at feeding time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZueJNJSZRQ

Oh, and I have yet to see them eat a plant. They only thing they ever did, is pull the roots of my hygroryza.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
They're only about a quarter inch long. I was told they eat hc. I was also told plants were not a problem. I put them in an unheated and unfiltered tank(10g) with a carpet of dwarf sag and some riccia.
I'll try and get some pictures in time but usually I am not to good with the camera.

edit. Good info PTR.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ptr, that's a great video. I think the females are almost as pretty as the males - certainly pretty enough to hold their own. I am strongly leaning towards making the 40B a Odessa tank...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts