The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have a 29g planted aquarium that has been set up since February. Right now have an Eclipse hood system on it, which has recently begun leaking condensation over the top of the aquarium and onto the floor. We have finally given up on it after finding more dried water on the hardwood floor and I unfortunately need to purchase a whole new hood and lighting system. I currently have baby tears, different types of anubias, dwarf amazon sword, and sagittaria subulata.

I did retrofit the Eclipse hood and currently have a 65 watt bulb in the tank which equals out to about 2.2 WPG. My plants are definitely growing but I wouldn't mind seeing them grow faster, so more light would be awesome. I also dose with Seachem products, including Excel for carbon.

I have a cat so preferably this system would not have an open hood design, I have a feeling he would love to try and catch some fish or drink the water.

Other than that I'm willing to take any hood/light suggestions, even some that wouldn't necessarily need a co2 system. Also, any good filter suggestions would help!! Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
If you are DIY savvy, you could create your own hood that would be to your liking.

As an aside, in terms of lighting, if you want your plants to grow faster, you will want more light. However, with more light means that there will be increased demands for macronutrients, micronutrients and CO2 (or an alternative carbon source, such as Excel).

If you want faster growth, CO2/an alternative CO2 source will be required, but if you want slower growth, then CO2 may not be as necessary (but will still be beneficial).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely not a DIY'er so I'm looking for a nice hood/light combo that I can buy that will give me maybe 3-3.5 WPG... and I will continue my dosing, including Excel but even if I have to get a co2 setup I'd be fine with that. Any suggestions would be awesome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts