The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who read my thread where my 100 gal planted tank broke a week ago... The tank is currently being repaired, but will be ready by saturday.

My hardwood floors took the biggest hit and are damaged, need to fix a lot of sections.

I´m having a lot of thoughts on setting the tank again. for one part 6 months of work growing plants were literally thrown in the garbage, I was only able to save some anubias and java fern. Then now I´m concerned of having the tank upstairs again, I would always be nervous of it breaking again while I´m not home (it was a nightmare). If I set up the tank downstairs no one would see it (it´s kind of a shop room downstairs where my dogs stay while I´m not at home)...

On the other hand the overstocking of my 60 gal is starting to take a toll on the poor fish. My 3 long finned angels are now short finned, one of the discus stopped eating and is starving to death and I see a lot of aggression between the dollars and the angels...

I don´t know what to do...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some parts are cupping but the main problem is actually that it´s lifting and developing bumps in some areas. I lifted some of the damaged parts to let it breathe out the humidity. Three weeks after the disaster it seems to be under control, haven´t seen new bumps in a week. I just need to change the parts that lifted, the very little cupping on some sections will have to stay like that.

The tank is being fixed, they will change the broken glass and reseal the whole thing again. It´s supposedly going to be ready today, so I will probably fill it again next sunday. I´ll start cycling the filter (fx-5) on the 60 gal tank where the overcrowding has taken it´s tall on the poor fish (I lost the second discus, the long finned angels are now short finned)

At least I have a change to re-do the aquascaping, not that I disliked my previous jungle but there´s always a chance to improve. Current plants I have are java fern, Anubias coffeefolia, anubias barteri nana and amazon swords... This time I want to do something that is not as high maintenance in terms of gardening (i.e. no rotala rotundifolia or hygro that grow 4" per week!)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Would think this is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of bad luck. But of course is always a worry. If you're really concerned, check into insurance otions. Maybe you can get a customer rider for not too much money that would cover the expense of repairs.

Here in the US, it is typical for problems like slow leaks that cause damage over time to NOT be covered, but pipe bursts, laundry room overflows to BE covered.

If it was $100 to ensure complete coverage, I'd do it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the support. I´m building "confidence" and started looking at everyone else´s tanks to get ideas for the new aquascape. Tank will be ready on Friday, so I will probably set it up saturday and sunday, with the few remaining plants.

I was thinking about "starting" the Fluval Fx-5 on the 60 gallon tank so it can cycle while I set up the large tank again, but I don´t know if the current will be way too strong for the fish, having a Fluval 300 already for that tank. What do you think?

At least, besides the second discus death, the rest of the fish are doing well despite the terrible overcrowding conditions they have tolerated. The three times a week 30% wc has helped a lot to keep those nitrates below 10 ppm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.