The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had some great plant swaps in the last year or so. But it has been quite a while since we had a swap with a large group of people show up. I think it is time to jump start things again. What if we were to do a big meet in January. I am sure there are going to be people changing up their tanks and starting new ones with their new Christmas toys. I know I am hoping to do some upgrades.

What should we do to make this the best swap meet yet? Should we have anything more than just a swap?

I could use some help on this. Even suggestions from people not around here would be great. I want to make this something that even people from as far away as Seattle would want to come to.

I think most local people on here are familiar with the Oregon Plant Enthusiast group page. It has been pretty quiet on there lately. But it is a great place to sent new people to.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this is going to happen next month, I better get going on it. I am thinking a Saturday in Mid January.

I want to know how many people are interested. If it is going to be numbers like we have had at the last couple of meets, I (and more importantly my wife) are willing to do it at my house. Or we can just go to another pizza place like we have been doing.

So, who is in?

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I'd love to finally make it to a Portland Area gathering. I have tiny aquariums and would just come for the fun (and maybe get rid of some equipment someone else could use).

The one thing that has always kept me away was the fact that many (all?) of the swaps took place in pizza places near I-5. I see that this is more convenient for people from out of town, but a real Portlander simply doesn't spend his Saturdays in a strip mall - sorry if this sounds snobbish. ;) I'm not sure if there are a lot of under-agers at the meetings, but if not, we might want to try a place in SE Portland like the Lucky Lab. Easily accessible from out of town, good beer, good food, large tables, animal-friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
We get some kids that come with parents. I normally have to take one with me when I do fish tank stuff just to keep my wife happy.
It would be great to have you though. Hopefully we find a place to your liking. I have offered to do it at my house if it is a small group again.
Well, I want to meet like-minded from Portland, so I'm sure I'll make it sooner or later, even if the meeting takes place at Popeyes in Gresham. ;)

Just for the record: Kids are welcome at the Lucky Lab. It is a clean and underage-friendly pub that also hosts board game groups and such. But I can understand that some parents might not be comfortable having their kids around bearded guys chugging delicious IPA...

There. Now I want beer and sandwiches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm pretty new to the planted thing, so I don't really have any plants to trade, but I would love to come to a swap anyway just to see what it's about :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally, if I had the entire day off having the swap at your home Jason would be very cool for several reasons. It would provide an environment that could be more dedicated to the swap itself and that would eliminate the pressure of buying something to eat at a restaurant or pub.

Since I personally have transportation and time constraints, I would lean toward The Lucky Lab. (Since I live right downtown) This would also eliminate the potential of you having to have too many people crowd into your home unexpectedly ;)

Regardless of the choice, hope to see everyone Saturday after next for the first half of the swap!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts