The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank is set up on my computer desk, which is basically smack dab in the middle of the man-cave. The first picture is taken from the perspective of sitting at the desk. Through the tank you can see a couch - these two spots are going to be the primary viewing areas. Lighting is 36w PC. Whether or not I do CO2 is still up in the air. Right now I just have a piece of driftwood with some anubias on it and a little patch of java moss. Either of these can easily be taken out as well.

Inhabitants will be African Clawed Frogs for the short term until they grow big enough to go into the tank with the other adults. After that I'd like to do some shrimp and some schooling fish.

This is a wide open slate right now and the viewable from two sides thing has me short on ideas. What say you?

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
My friend had a really cool setup. He had a really nice piece of driftwood that looked like a basic log but had a hole in it. It curved so that he could slope the substrate each way and cover up the ends. The top was about 1/2 the tank high or more. Then he just scaped each side similarly. Very nice looking from both sides.

Even if you don't do that, just look at the middle of the tank as the back. Most tanks I have seen that can be viewed from both sides, and aren't just for fish look like this. A 10 gallon doesn't have much width so it's hard but it is doable.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think a moss wall hung in front of the "heater?" would look really good. Then I would do some kind of slope in the substrate, maybe sloping toward the "moss wall" or something. Definitely needs some more wood and/or rocks with more plants. I am currently working on a 25g tall and long to be viewable by both sides, so I will definitely be watching the progress on this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
What about creating a wood structure, aka Frankenstump, that is interesting but 2 dimensional and planting it with moss on the upper part and Anubias on the lower? Place the wood diagonally across the tank and you have two triangular planting spaces for more plants. Decide exactly where you need to interrupt the view through the tank and be sure to have your wood covering those spots.

If you really want to go all out hiding equipment what about using a Hamburg-Mattenfilter? It consists of a sponge wall up in a corner with the heater and small powerhead behind. You could even paint or cover the outside of the tank just in that corner so it is completely out of sight. Mattenfilters can be planted with fern and moss too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.