The Planted Tank Forum banner

need help

695 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JennaH 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I need advice since i'm a total newbie.

I have a 60 gallon planted discus set up currently. My lighting is a CF 130 watt fixture 10K bulbs with flourite gravel, pressurized CO2 (HOB FIlters so my co2 concentration is showing blue on my drop checker), with a temp of 85 degrees for my discus. My pH is 7.4 and my ammonia, nitrites are zero with nitrates at 10ppm to 20ppm depending...

My question is that all of my stem plants seem to be losing their bottom leaves. Only the canopy's remain making them look like trees. the stem plants i have are red ludwiga, bacopa, and water wisteria. As for my rotala, the bottom leaves are in tact for the most part but the leaves are tiny now.

Please help. what am i doing wrong?>

#2 ·
I've had this happen when my overall lighting was too low or I had the stems planted too close together, preventing the lower half of the stems from getting any light. I have always had this problem with Rotala and Bacopa. Your light is on the low side, which may be part of the problem but it may help just to separate the stems a little bit more and try and plant them at least 3/4" apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.