The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this unusual. My tank been great these several months and now I had at least one to two deaths in each tank. I noticed molting problems. A lot of my shrimp have been doing whole shell molting or two part molting. Nice hard milky white shell. For some odd reason the night temp dropped extremely low the other night. It dropped to 58-60 degrees. What's funny is that only my 10 gallon rack I was finding 1-2 deaths in each one.

Parameters
Ph: 6.7
Temp: day 73-74 degrees on average night 68-65
Tds 150-175 ppm
Gh
Kh 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammo0
Feeding Monday shirakura weds special powder protein Friday spinach
Water changes weekly ro/di water with remineralize to 150-175 ppm
I also add blk water extract for trace minerals and vitamins

I am thinking it was the temp drop. Also could of been I didn't do a water change in 2 weeks idk I am stuck. All my berries are still alive so that good

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
With multiple tanks it may be good to just heat the room.
I only do easy care/low tech RCS shrimp but did notice a gap in the shell of some
and added CaSO4 and it has gone away.
GH and KH test kits seem necessary for shrimp and 3-5 in each is enough for a test result. Lower seems to generate problems.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some ideas:

Temp drop
% of water change
ph drops with bw extract and no Kh
and gh
Temp drop was drastic 65 to 58 degrees major change from normal night temps
On a normal day temp rise to a 72-73 and drop night time to a 65-68 and all this gradualy rises throughout the day.

Water change is always a 25% or 30% weekly but I missed a water change and went 2 weeks

I'll check the gh

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Retested today gh 4 kh 1-2 any more thoughts?

Water level always to the top generating more than enough surface circulation I may also add in a airstone to put in circulation movement in the water

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did I miss where you mention what type of shrimp yo have?
Tank 1. PBL and carbon rili one carbon died
2 mischlings and yellow neo 1 neo died was Molting
3. Crs and blue pearls 1 pearl died
4. Tibees pinto and Sunkist orange 2 orange died 1 while molting
5. Blue bees and pfr 1 Pfr died
6. Bkk and red Rilis none died

Seems only neos dying my berried mischling dropped her eggs

·
Got Shrimp?
159 Posts
Hey buddy sorry to hear you are having problems it was the temp drop. Cardina family prefers the lower temps that's why no losses but neocaridinas like a little higher temps so they couldnt handle such a drastic change in temps. Thats my initial thought after reading your initial post.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I don't know what effect high KH would cause, but lower than 3 allows the PH to fluctuate because it acts as a PH buffer. Previously when my tank had a 1 for a reading
I had other problems/w the plants as a result and my LFS told me to check it after WC and add 1/4 tsp for each 10G of Baking Soda. Since I had/have 10g tanks I just put one tsp in each and the KH went up to 3 from that. He said to check it after each WC (cause my tap is low on it) and some WC I need to add and some I don't.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey buddy sorry to hear you are having problems it was the temp drop. Cardina family prefers the lower temps that's why no losses but neocaridinas like a little higher temps so they couldnt handle such a drastic change in temps. Thats my initial thought after reading your initial post.
No prob bud. I still gotta call you. Our time difference here is so off I don't wanna bother you 2-3 am your time. Talk to you soon

I don't know what effect high KH would cause, but lower than 3 allows the PH to fluctuate because it acts as a PH buffer. Previously when my tank had a 1 for a reading
I had other problems/w the plants as a result and my LFS told me to check it after WC and add 1/4 tsp for each 10G of Baking Soda. Since I had/have 10g tanks I just put one tsp in each and the KH went up to 3 from that. He said to check it after each WC (cause my tap is low on it) and some WC I need to add and some I don't.
I'll check with that I use RO with salty shrimp

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So did an water change today and I am finding that maybe my filtration not strong enough? I have all 10 gallons but only 4 of 6 have overfiltration on high flow for surface movement.

I added a marineland 30 to one of my tanks with brand new carbon media and boom PH sky rocket. Is this normal?

I think I'll be adding heavier filtration to my tanks since I notice PH keeps fluctuating. Also any advice on kh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.