The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,
I am posting you in regards to the GLA green fertilizer pack. I have started dosing about two weeks ago and had a established colony of Cherry shrimp and some newer SS+ RCS. In the past week I have noticed that I have lost a couple a day of the Red Cherries until today where I lost roughly 12 and four out of five RCS. I do weekly W/C's properly on every Sunday and dose 10 ml of Macros on the first day for a 10 gallon aquarium and 5 ml of Micros for the next day and the process continues. Is this fertilizer pack invert safe because from what I am see it is not and I have lost over 50$ in shrimp with this being the only thing that has change in the aquarium. If needed I can be reached by phone at 423 314 6579. Could it be something else? Very sad day :(
Very Respectfully,
James

·
Registered
926 Posts
When you say 10 ml, this is of what concentration? and the same for micros? I use GLA micros, iron, and K with my RCS without any problem.

It sounds like you are dosing really heavy up to 10X the amount. maybe the nitrates are now at toxic levels??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no copper so you should be safe. arent you dosing too much?
Thanks for the timely reply, trust me it is much appreciated, I am not sure if I am dosing to much. I was told by a friend that was the proper dosing amount and schedule for that size of a tank. I know this thread has nothing to do with dosing but any help would be cool.

·
Registered
926 Posts
so 10 ml of what? how much fert to how much water?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say 10 ml, this is of what concentration? and the same for micros? I use GLA micros, iron, and K with my RCS without any problem.

It sounds like you are dosing really heavy up to 10X the amount. maybe the nitrates are now at toxic levels??
10 ml for the Macro and 5 ml for the Micro, the concentrations were taken from this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgS4jAF9Lk where it says to add Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4( one level teaspoon. Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) -4 lvl teaspoons and Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) 6 lvl teaspoons for the 500 ml bottles. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
try dosing a small amount of what you're doing right now...how about 1mL of macros and 0.7 ml of micros weekly or twice a week if you feel like it. also if youre running high light, keep photoperiod around 8 hours...if its less than that right now, you're fine too.

dont go crazy with the system. what you described might be for very high tech and light tanks.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
You're dosing everyday? Do you have CO2? Dosing lots of ferts in high doses usually means your tank has high light and CO2 so the plants can actually make enough energy to use all those ferts.

Also, you said SS RCS. did you mean CRS? Crystal red shrimp?

What are your water params. Generally cherry and crystal shrimp need different param's and it's hard to find the perfect mix for both of them to live in.

Changing large amounts of water is usualy not the best for shrimp as it forces them to molt too soon and that can kill them.

Maybe message GLA on their site or on here or post in the ferts section asking for help on how to use their ferts rather than order them and then rely on youtube to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
try dosing a small amount of what you're doing right now...how about 1mL of macros and 0.7 ml of micros weekly or twice a week if you feel like it. also if youre running high light, keep photoperiod around 8 hours...if its less than that right now, you're fine too.

dont go crazy with the system. what you described might be for very high tech and light tanks.
Thank you for the advice, I will use it, I will start dosing again and with that amount you suggested after their W/C on Sunday. My photoperiod is like 6 1/2 hours :) thankfully already. I just moved the light up another 2 inches also last week. I will try and post there also but I posted on here first because I care about my shrimp more than the plants IF I had to choose. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I was dosing everyday but obviously by that question and everyone else saying something about it, I shouldn't be... I caught the clue lol I have a CO2 paintball set up with about 2 balls per 3 seconds. My light is high from my knowledge of the PAR system or even by watts. It is an 24" Oddysea t5ho x4 with daylight lights and 2 inches above the top of the regular 10 gallon tank. Yes I meant CRS, they are new to me and I was not thinking properly because I was upset as you can imagine, sorry that I was not clear on that point. I keep the tank at 72 degrees but not sure on the kh and gh but I will check. I didn't know that they couldn't be properly mixed or I wouldn't do that, so from now on I will not try and mix the two. The CRS will get their tank with almond leaves and almost a bare tank with Java moss and ADA ph substrate or what ever I find out before I try again in 6 months. BTW I just didn't rely on youtube to help me out... I had someone on this site and another that showed me that link and said that is what to use lol... Also, they are the ones that recommended the GLA fert pack to me instead of the seachem ferts I was using. I did not know changing water could kill them, Thanks I am definatley learning off of this and I will remember that for future use.
You're dosing everyday? Do you have CO2? Dosing lots of ferts in high doses usually means your tank has high light and CO2 so the plants can actually make enough energy to use all those ferts.

Also, you said SS RCS. did you mean CRS? Crystal red shrimp?

What are your water params. Generally cherry and crystal shrimp need different param's and it's hard to find the perfect mix for both of them to live in.

Changing large amounts of water is usualy not the best for shrimp as it forces them to molt too soon and that can kill them.

Maybe message GLA on their site or on here or post in the ferts section asking for help on how to use their ferts rather than order them and then rely on youtube to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
You can find decent params for RCS and CRS to live together, there is a bit of overlap.

You have waaaaaaay too much light. 4 HO bulbs 2" over a 10gal, that's not high light, that's insanely high light. lol.

If you had the tank with CO2 going, the shrimp aren't going to like that. You can get shrimp used to a high tech, CO2, high fert tank but it takes some time. Most people usually kill there CO2, add the shrimp, then slowly increase it to get them used to it over a few days.

Make sure you have airstones on at night to offgas the CO2 at night or shut off the CO2. A bit of surface agitation in the tank to help keep the O2 levels a bit too helps. Shrimp like high O2 in the water.

You can find a balance between lights, ferts, CO2, happy plants and happy shrimp. It just takes some time.

Don't feel bad, we all have killed lots of shrimp at the start and sometimes even after years, even the best of us make a simple mistake and kill half a tank over night.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I have a fair bit of experience with mixing shrimp successfully, but little experience with ferts. I'm not sure those two can mix comfortably, especially at those high doses.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.