The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My name is Crystal and Im new here. I was refer to this site from other from the APC they said that you guys may be able to help id whats in my tank. Now recently, I purchased some plants from a fish swap and placed it into my tanks. 3 months later and boom! I have hundreds of these bugs in my plants. Does any one knows what it is and will it kill my fishes and shrimps? heres a pic of them. Any help will be appreciated. Crystal.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
What size do they seem to be?

At first glance could be some tyof amphipod aka scud. What type of fish do you have?
Does your fish eat them or seem to pick at them at all?

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are about 1/2 of a rice grain. The leaf beside it is your standard frog bit size of an eraser tip. So yes some is larger than others. Seem to have about 3 different types of bugs in it. Man 10 dollars worth of plants is killing me here..crystal

·
Registered
537 Posts
After a general search I think they might be springtails. They are harmless. Could be great food for your fish.

I wish I had that problem ... hehe I like to use live foods if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know they are not spring tails. I use to farm and see spring tails all over the gardens. Spring tails are white and jump/spring around, these guys are like 6 legged critters that looks close to a spider with a small head and rounded body. When you scoop them up with a spoon or something, they two front legs lift and they start walking wierd....If someone can help me that would be highly appreciated. Thanks! Crystal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, hopefully the problem is solve. I dumped every single plant that there was. No more planted tank for now. t5glo for sale now. Any one interested in a t5 glow 36 inch 39x2, I have the legs and everything give me 50 for it plus shipping and its yours. Im not sure how much they sell it online, but crap after 2 weeks of trying to kill these guys, I give up. Ill restart on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ditto on ditching the tank, don't give up so easy. You haven't lived through a snail infestation or worse some whacked out algae bloom. If you think those tiny bugs are bad wait till the crap hits the fan and you get green water and all sorts of horrible algae to deal with. Then again, maybe you should ditch the tank idea. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.