The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 5.5 gallon freshwater tank with red cherry shrimp. I have 2 anubias and some java moss. I have been using the tiny LED light that came with my tank and they are doing good. I found this aquarium light in my garage and i want to know if it would improve my plants growth. The bulb says marineland natural daylight F15T8/18" 21k, and it also says Hg. The actual lighting fixture/hood says its a 17W . Is that too much light for my plants or could it kill them? I just bought water wisteria and a java fern. I put a root tab for the water wisteria and i added some seachem flourish. What i read somewhere is that too much light could burn/kill java fern? What about my other plants?

·
Registered
651 Posts
It won't burn your java fern or kill your plants.

However, more light could mean algae problems. If your tank is doing well as it is, I wouldn't mess with it. Your plants are plants that do well in low light.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Waterwisteria generally is not considered a low light plant. I have grown it in low tech setups but it always tended to show some nutrient deficiencies toward the bottom leaves near the stem. That was with using Seachem Flourish and root tabs. It was still shooting out new leaves and survived. I actually took it out of my ten gallon because it outgrew the tank in a matter of a few weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.