Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here. Trying to figure out what is the problem with my tank

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Annual plant Soil

Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Organism

Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Annual plant

What is this black stuff on the leaves?
If I rub the leaves with my fingers it doesn't come off. Does not seem to be black beard algae, not hairy.
Also having difficulties with steam plants they always loose leaves from bottom to middle but healthy up top
55gallons
7hours light
co2 injection 3-4bps
Dosing macro and micro and iron liquid nutrients every alternate days. I dose little bit less then what it says on the instructions because I am afraid of loosing control on the nitrates
Nitrates = 10-20ppm hard to read the color chart
50% water change weekly as recommended from EI fertilizing method

Thank you for the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum, so about the algae on the anubius, I don’t know what kind it is but you can rest assured that it happens often. At least in my case. Anubius is a slow growing plant and that tends to happen, as long as new leafs are bright green and don’t have it then the entire plant should be fine and you can calmly take it of it.
Someone with better experience than me might be able to give more details but it isn’t anything deathly crazy.
As for the stem plants, that always happens to stem plants in my personal experience. They tend to wither a bit when placed somewhere new. As long as it keeps growing new leaves at the top you’ll be fine and then later when there are some roots dangling from it you can trim it and replant it so it looks full throughout. When trimming stem plants always trim bellow a root so that the trimmed part has somewhere to take nutrients from. If you cut above any roots (whatever size) then there’s a possibility of death to that trimmed piece.

also how old is the system and how long has it been running?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Can you post a full tank picture so that we can have a better idea of the plant mass in your tank? What kind of light are you using? When your Anubias starts to get algae like than you are giving it too much light. It is a slow grower and prefers low light to shaded areas. I’m not sure what the last comment here was about cutting your stem plants “below” the root meant. Sounds like they are struggling and trying to adapt to their new environment. You can try topping them and replanting the tops with the good growth and cutting the rest down to it’s base (not below the root system as suggested) and toss the poor growth. But yeah. When anubias looks like that you are providing it with too much light intensity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
August 2021

Plant Water Rectangle Pet supply Wood

Now

Plant Plant community Rectangle Pet supply Terrestrial plant

I have a cheap amazon Nicrew light on for 7 hours. I have duck weed so it blocks a little bit of light too. The first thing I did to combat green spot algea few months ago was to reduce light time to 7hours and also to raise the light about 9-10 inch above the tank instead of resting on the glass top cover and it worked BUT plants were not growing fast. So then what I did was put back light directly on top cover (still 7 hours) and raise a little bit the co2 at 3bps and go with EI fertilizers (before i was using easygreen). Still no more green spot algea but now black spot algea as we see.
I am wondering if the black stuff is really infact algea or is it something else?

I am struggling to keep my stem plants alive, I always end up buying new ones or cut good top part and replant and they are fine for a week or so before dying again. I don't really know the way to plant them. I have tried directly in the gravel but they always end up floating at the top . I also tried using the floss sponge with lead wraped around at the base and then put that in the gravel, they rot and detach. Now I still use the floss but leave them resting on the gravel (its ugly), seems better but they loose leaves now. Also I loose some random plants like the one you see on the far right beside the co2 drop checker is now dead, but the same one at the far left seems way better. The red middle plant is relatively new but i lost the previous red plant (I am now putting more Iron see if that helps)

When i started Co2 the growth was crazy and everything seemed heatly. Now its like not much progress and dying plants

1 - 4 of 4 Posts