The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in starting a Riccia carpet.
I have 15g tank,diy co2, river sand, 15w light.
Its a 24" by 12" surface, how much riccia do u think will be required to form a lush carpet?
And post trimming, can I use the the trimmed riccia to plant it again?

Please help

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Riccia carpets are a pain to upkeep as you'll need to constantly re-net it to whatever you're using to keep it down.

What are you using for light? 15w doesn't really help, need more info like PAR. height of tank etc. Doubt you'll get a nice neon green from the Riccia with that little light.

You'll need enough to start with a thick layer as Riccia is very thin. I'd say a pretty large amount. But like I said, it grows fast. You can try to trim it, but I'd just pull the mat and re-attach everything again. It's too small to trim

Maybe try some Fiss. or Moss? Or even some Marselia Minuta (mm.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.. I have a 15w fluorescent aquarium lamp connected to a 240v power ballast..
24x12x12 inches(lxbxh)
Its approx 13 14inches from d substrate to d lamp.. I am willing to add another 15w lamp if need be..
I am ready to renet it.. As I have understood, it grows dense over time, I just need to take it out spread it and tie again. Example, 4x4 inch mat, when overgrows I can spread d riccia to a 6x6 mat and weigh it down in d tank.. Right?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think there is a form of riccia that is more prone to staying submerged. I think people refer to it as mini riccia. However I am not sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might help with planting. I saw the other one and it was good. Searched plant aquarium plants in YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KL8PZeX9os
Thank you django.. I ve seen the process but I am confused about making riccia spread to cover the entire floor..

Will hc Cuba survive in a low spec tank as mine? Dats another question.. I ve read about multiple people failing repeatedly with a cuba

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there is a form of riccia that is more prone to staying submerged. I think people refer to it as mini riccia. However I am not sure.
U maybe referring to dwarf riccia.. Its smaller and with a slow growth rate.. And rare here in Mumbai :(.. Couldn't spot one yet..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts