The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a shrimp tank with sand as substrate but overtime the sand has diminished during cleanings, is there a proper way to add sand to the aquarium? Will the cloudyness of the water kill my shrimps? If anyone knows from experience thatd be awesome!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just did a rescape of a 55 and a 75 gallon and replaced the eco-complete with black blasting sand. I did all that with the fish and shrimp in the tank. They seemed to enjoy all the mulm bits I stirred up in the tank while I worked on the swap. Could have just been the time of day but spawning activity from the rasboras and danios went way up after all was said and done. I attribute most of it to the large water change that accompanied the whole mess..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not affiliated with this vid, but it's a short 1-min example of the method I used to originally fill my tank with pool filter sand. Works like magic. If you hold the bottle completely upside down, the dust will remain in the bottle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Above is clever but too much work.

If you are using Black Diamond or PFS, it only needs a rinse.

Put it in a tupperware container. Lower it slowly so it fills with water. Lower to the bottom and turn over.
Yup did the same with solo cups, works just fine. If the sand is clean you won’t stir up anything or make a cloud. Just slowly lower it in and pour out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yup did the same with solo cups, works just fine. If the sand is clean you won’t stir up anything or make a cloud. Just slowly lower it in and pour out.
Yup all ther crud that was stirred up in my tanks was from the old substrate. The new sand which was rinsed thoroughly went in with no dust or cloudiness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.