The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a box of 10kg of Seiryu Rocks at literally 20% the price, completely blind purchase, just paid for the weight and took the risk.

Surprised with the rocks as I was expecting a dozen tennis ball sized rocks, ended up with 2 huge rocks and a handful of small ones.

Having trouble finding a decent formation for them, would like to use as many as possible, not necessarily all. Can epoxy them together if needed and will be going in a 60L cube so it’s about 40cm x 40cm x 40cm roughly

Have attached a few photos of what there is, so far the only combination of the two large ones that would fit is the sort of arch looking formation but not really a fan as it’ll shade half the tank.

Tempted to break on of them up and see what I get from that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I would resist the temptation to break them up. The fresh edges are always garbage.

My favorite cube hardscapes are usually one raised back corner and everything sloping down from there. I'd bury most of the bad looking large rock on its side with only one of the long edges hanging out and use the good looking large rock to create an overhang in the tank. Use the small rocks to dot the expanse of the rise leading up to the back corner.

Hopefully that makes sense, good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like the textures of the left rock in your first picture and can see that working well pushed into the back right corner of the tank exactly as in your picture with aqua soil substrate piled pretty high in behind it to plant stem or long grassy plants. The little jagged teeth along that right side would also give you a spot to plant into along the glass (might make cleaning the glass a bit of a pain though). Perhaps tipping that right rock from the first picture onto its side with the peak being the low end of the left side somehow and then arranging some of the smaller rocks into the mid and foreground in the center of the tank. Basically would be making a triangular composition of rock similar to what minorhero suggested with it sloping from the high right back corner so that you can plant around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty sure he ordered it from modern aquarium. I just ordered 10Lb of the blue seiryu rocks from them and am in a similar situation as the OP.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Those kinds of rock are meant to be used in designs with a few large rocks and a few small accent rocks -- not several rocks of the same size.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those kinds of rock are meant to be used in designs with a few large rocks and a few small accent rocks -- not several rocks of the same size.
Lucky I have a few large rocks and a few small accent rocks

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lucky I have a few large rocks and a few small accent rocks

Oh you’re so funny. I’m addressing your surprise about getting that when you expected 12 tennis ball sized rocks. That’s not how these rocks are designed to be set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts