·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I just did a new setup on my tank one month ago
These plants (photos) were doing great before
Cant pinpoint the problem
90g with 3 to 5 inches of : dirt+fert tabs/mix sand gravel/gravel, topped with seachem flourite.
I dose weekly a mix of seachem products
Ph 7.5 gh 3 kh 8 Temp 80/82
Lights is a single 250mh 6500k @ 2 feet
9 hours low light low tek
Ro/di mixed with pre filtered tap
UV 5 hours @ nights
5 discus 5 rasbora 5 panda cory
Plants are mix, little algae here and there.
Wc is automatic, id say 10g weekly bit by bit every night
Low flow from 1 eheim 2217
Water Botany Organism Underwater Plant
Water Plant Vertebrate Fluid Body of water

·
Registered
744 Posts
It looks like snails to me. Seen any such as pond snails or ramshorn? When I bought plants from my LFS, I missed an egg sac somewhere because I have battling the snail plague ever since (over a year!)

If it is in fact snails, I have found that by picking them out everytime I see one, the numbers have dropped low enough they don't eat my plants anymore.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Could be some kind of defficency, what Seachem products are you dosing? Might be a potassium defficency, i believe that creates holes in the leaves of the plants, or it could be something easy and be snails

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't really have an answer but a thought...
Remember that it frequently takes a while for injury to appear in plants. So you also need to think back, were the plants possibly cold, hot, dry, about a week ago that might explain the problem...?
One reason i say that is I've grown Anubias for years and rarely do i have problems and they get thrown all over the place, submerged, emerged, cold, dark etc and pretty much look fine and survive...
So bottom line if you can't figure out what caused it if everything else is
OK in the tank it's a good bet the Anubias will be fine....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My bet is on a Manganese Deficiency that's causing the problems for your plants, because it looks as if the holes in the plants are between the "veins" in each leaf. Looks as if it's been happening for quite some time......

My advise would be to order some Manganese Sulfate Powder, just google "Manganese Sulfate Powder" and it should show a -e b a y- link in the google search.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
How long is the 250 watt metal halide on? I hang my 150 watt MH fixtures about 40" off the substrate and it is very very bright in the tank.

How many watts are you using on the Tek? Teks have good reflectors and your tank likely would have plenty to too much light using 2 bulbs for 8 hours a day.

Are you using CO2 of any sort? Bright light and no CO2 usually mean BBA but since you have the UV that may be preventing a plague. I have read here that UV does something to iron as well.

With your brightly lit tank and use of low strength Seachem products I suspect your plants are starving for more. Check the calculator for how much you are actually dosing, you may want to double up on your fertilizing. http://calc.petalphile.com/ I would definitely cut out the metal halide completely and only run one or two bulbs on the Tek.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips!
I'll check everything out
The 250w is the only light on the tank
At 2 feet from the surface for 9h
It isnt that bright, and i do have floating plants (probably salvinia mini)+ my lotus who i barely cant keep up ripping those leaf out!
I still got algae tho, too much for my taste :(

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
That is nice, floaters love bright light. You may get a flower from the lotus too if you 'give up' and let it keep some floating leaves. Your stem plants will not appreciate this however!

Are you getting less shadowing in the corners because the light is so high? I had an annoying amount of shadow when I just had 2 MH over the 8' tank. Perhaps I should have raised them higher than 12" I think it was.

As well as looking into increasing the amount of fertilizers check the GH and KH of the tank and tap water. If they are dropping perhaps the plants need more magnesium, calcium or carbonate but I am still betting on too much light and not enough carbon and the other nutrients. You could try placing a layer of window screen between the light and the tank to see if dimmer light helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kathy: no shadow, not really...But i have woods in both corners, i might be mistaken. I will try cutting daytime and ill
Fix the dimmer on the ballast.
Ok i did not think my 250 so high on a 90g would be much light :)
Its so dim in there, then again i come from saltwater so unless the fishes go blind i never think its enough light!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts