The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I could use some help ID'ing some of my plants I knew thier names when I bought them but my memory is about five steps long and by the time I was in the car they were anonymous :icon_bigg

Here are the Pictures and THANK YOU!

1. I call it an Amazon sword and red Ludwiga but the truth may be stranger then fiction :D

2. This is my sad little crypt but it may be a sad little something else...

3. I know this is a Giant something or other but what I have no idea.

In number 3 I'm pretty sure that is very sad looking Jungle Val.

THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think you nailed it. The giant thingie is some sort of Anubias and looks very nice, keep its rhizome out of the sand and only bury the actual roots.

Be prepared, the crypt is probably going to turn into purple ooze and then new leaves will grow in a couple weeks, extremely creepy looking. The sword will probably get brown spots on all those leaves before new bright green leaves with short stems and long blades grow. The vals are likely to look puny for ages then all of a sudden your tank will be clogged with them.

Give them time and they will reward your good conditions by growing into a nice jungle. You might plant the Ludwigia stems separately so each can develop better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you nailed it. The giant thingie is some sort of Anubias and looks very nice, keep its rhizome out of the sand and only bury the actual roots.

Be prepared, the crypt is probably going to turn into purple ooze and then new leaves will grow in a couple weeks, extremely creepy looking. The sword will probably get brown spots on all those leaves before new bright green leaves with short stems and long blades grow. The vals are likely to look puny for ages then all of a sudden your tank will be clogged with them.

Give them time and they will reward your good conditions by growing into a nice jungle. You might plant the Ludwigia stems separately so each can develop better.
Thank you! Giant Anubia is probably the correct answer... The guy at the fish store told me to keep the rhizome out of the sand, he based that on the fact that the rhizome was green, so it made sense.

The Crypt has a dark rhizome somewhere under the sand and it never did good for me I still have the parent plant in my 10 gallon(been in there for at least 6 months) and it looks pretty much the same except it is thicker (read more leaves) and has 3 green leaves out of like 50...sigh but I started to DIY co2 in my 10 gallon to see if it can do better.

Thank you for the help! I'm new at aqua-scaping so I'm not sure how to (spell it) ;) arrange things. But I'll separate the stems a bit at the next water change and spread them out a bit in the same general area.

Other then that I'm hoping things will perk up when Co2 is in.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Things probably will. Just don't use Excel with the crypts and vals, that kept mine in a permanent state of slow melt until I stopped using it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts