The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 55 gal tank that I have successfully subdivided into an aquatic and terrestrial land scape. The aquatic side is approx 13.5 gal and spills over to the land which is elevated with "hydroballs" and aquarium gravel for some poison darts I plan to place. My big questions are:

1) My lighting source is a standard 48" shop light with two 40w T12 "plant and aqarium" bulbs which are supposed to be full spectrum grow lights. I also have a 60w blue day light on the land portion to help elevate the temp and provide some UVa for the frogs. First, will this light be sufficient for growing aquatic and terrestrial plants? Second, I have covered my screen lid with plastic cling wrap to balance my humididty. This has worked well but, I am wondering if the light will be effected by this?

2) Now that I have achieved a constant 80-90% humididty for my frogs, I have noticed some nice white mold growing in places. How can I control this and will it harm the frogs?

Thanks a million. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My answers will be in a color like this to avoid confusion. :)

I have a standard 55 gal tank that I have successfully subdivided into an aquatic and terrestrial land scape. The aquatic side is approx 13.5 gal and spills over to the land which is elevated with "hydroballs" and aquarium gravel for some poison darts I plan to place. My big questions are:

Your statement sugguests that you don't have the PDF's now.

1) My lighting source is a standard 48" shop light with two 40w T12 "plant and aqarium" bulbs which are supposed to be full spectrum grow lights. I also have a 60w blue day light on the land portion to help elevate the temp and provide some UVa for the frogs. First, will this light be sufficient for growing aquatic and terrestrial plants? Second, I have covered my screen lid with plastic cling wrap to balance my humididty. This has worked well but, I am wondering if the light will be effected by this?

Generally in a tank that size you would want more lighting, however, because of the actual water volume, the lighting should be sufficient to grow many aquatic plants as well as some terrestrial plants. The plastic will effect the quality of light that reaches the plants. Even glass will effect the quality of light reaching the plants but I believe to a much lesser degree. I would use glass to cover instead.

2) Now that I have achieved a constant 80-90% humididty for my frogs, I have noticed some nice white mold growing in places. How can I control this and will it harm the frogs?

Sprintails, a type of insect, will control the mold and may also provide a tasty snack for your PDF's. I do not believe the mold will be harmful to your PDF's. Terrariums, Vivariums and Paludariums go through many cycles that include these mold blooms.

Thanks a million. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

I wish you all the best

·
Registered
54 Posts
It might also be good to increase ventillation, both to prevent/deter mold and keep the air quality good for your frogs. What about slightly less plastic covering replaced by more frequent mistings if/as needed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wespastor:

Thanks for your help. I am waiting for the frogs to ship; Due to weather they wont be here until next week. I wanted to get things up and running before I put the frogs in the enclosure.

Where can I get sprintails?

·
Registered
537 Posts
wespastor:

Thanks for your help. I am waiting for the frogs to ship; Due to weather they wont be here until next week. I wanted to get things up and running before I put the frogs in the enclosure.

Where can I get sprintails?
While I have had no personal experience with this company I have heard many great thing about them on other boards.
joshsfrogs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.