The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 175 MH lights that I bought from Hamilton Tech. I just got the bulbs replaced a month ago but now both the bulbs are having trouble igniting. They will to ignite and turn on for 20-30 secs but then they shut off for about 5 mins and try to ignite again. Does anyone know why I would be haveing this problem? It seems that eventually they do ignite since when I normally get home at around 6 (4hrs after they are suppose to come on) they are often on and if not light up shortly afterwards. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any possible solutions for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Spefically what type of ballast is it and what type of bulbs. Is the ballast a pulse start ballast? Some bulbs are not meant to be used with the pulse start ballast. Do you still have your old bulbs? Do they light up fine? If they light up fine then that would rule out the bulbs and would leave you left with bad bulbs...

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well both the fixtures are doing this. A month ago I had a light burn out on me. I got replacement bulbs from hamilton (exact same as my old ones). I tried them and one of them started doing exactly what these ones are (even after burn-in period). I called hamilton and they said it is probably the bulbs and they replaced them for me and now its doing it again, not sure if it really stopped with the other bulbs.

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=219622&cat=16&

this is what I got. The SINGLE REEFSUN 175W 6.5K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts