The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a twenty gallon tank with spiral, dwarf anubius and javafern my leaves are turning a light green. All my parameters for water are perfect I liquid fert every other day and have fert tabs in substrate which is plain gravel. I was wondering could I have to much lighting. I have coralife t5 24" (1) colormax 14watt and (1) 10000k daylight 14 watt bulb only a total of 1.4wpg. If the light is to strong what do you suggest for replacing the bulbs.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think you have high light, but just barely so. Perhaps medium would be the best description of the light. CO2 is almost necessary, if not necessary, for that much light. If you raise the light about 6 inches or so, you will have low light, and won't have to bother with CO2 at all. (I'm assuming your 20 gal tank is 16 inches high.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using flourish excel. I have no CO2 currently set up. I'm planning to purchase the haden CO2 system seems like a DIY but they set it up for you and not nearly as costly as a pressurized system. Also how do you calculate T5 bulbs if not by wpg? If my lights are high would putting them on a stand and putting a glass lid on top of my tank cut some light down?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I'm using flourish excel. I have no CO2 currently set up. I'm planning to purchase the haden CO2 system seems like a DIY but they set it up for you and not nearly as costly as a pressurized system. Also how do you calculate T5 bulbs if not by wpg? If my lights are high would putting them on a stand and putting a glass lid on top of my tank cut some light down?
I'm glad you asked that question: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/97622-par-data-selecting-t5ho-light.html

A glass cover on the tank will reduce the light a bit, especially if you let it get covered with calcium deposits from evaporation of water on the glass.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoppy I've read over your PAR data and I'm still a little confused as to how much light I have or am required to have for my 20 gallon 16" high tank. I have a corallife aqualight t5 fixture with (1) 10000K 14w daylight bulb and (1) colormax 14w bulb. I have raised my fixture about two inches off my glass cover which I am letting the calcium build up on the side with the fixture. I plan on adding the Haden CO2 system here shortly and was wondering if I should leave the light as it is if I had that CO2 system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.